Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

dumpster diving

85 posts in this topic

How old is it, and what kind of ram does it need?

You probably all already know this so I dont know why I'm saying it but anyway.....

If you dont know, dont worry, on crucial's site and maybe kingston(dont quote me on that) they have mamory wizards, that ask you what computer you have and they tell you what memory you need for it. Then just go buy that type of ram from a generic vendor, one that doesn't charge as much as crucial (damn corporate hogs)

This is how I managed to find out what type of ram I needed for an old gateway 2000 P5-60....lil bit of useless info there...

How old is it, and what kind of ram does it need?

You probably all already know this so I dont know why I'm saying it but anyway.....

If you dont know, dont worry, on crucial's site and maybe kingston(dont quote me on that) they have mamory wizards, that ask you what computer you have and they tell you what memory you need for it.

Thanks fer the info. I thinks the puter is like 5 or 6 years old. Yeah, I'd already narrowed down the RAM. Anyplace that does have non-parity EDO 168-pin DIMMs wants way more than I want to put into this thing. The best price I found was where I usually buy my RAM, MemoryToGo.com, like $75 for 128MB. I was hoping for more like $30...or free. If someone in town here had some I would have scored it today.

Maybe I can find another one in the dumpster again soon. ;)

But I do have Red Hat 8.0 installed on it. It runs, but the drive is CONSTANTLY accessing the swap partiton and it's SLLLLOOOOWWWWWW doing anything. This 'puter will need two things:

1) More RAM

2) Me to read dual's article on running fat distros on thin hardware

if its that old, make sure that one slot supports 128 megs, when I upgraded my old pentium 60 I found out the socket 4 motherboard only supported 32 megs per slot, me careful about this. Anyway check out pcprogress.com they got some good shit, that's where I bought my ram and a 40 gig hdd, for that same computer. the thing that pissed me off about them is that they sent me a 5400 rpm drive instead of the 7200 that I ordered, the prices where the same at the time, so maybe that's where they made the mistake, but still...

5400 rpm instead of a 7200? Yow. That's a pretty big mistake. Especially if yer using the drive to render video. I know how you feel. I get SOOOO pissed when simple things like that get screwed up.

Thanks for the link. That place has some really great prices on stuff. I did find the RAM through them for the IBM , but it was still like $45 for a 128MB stick. That's the best price I'd found but still just over the top of what I want to spend on this project right now. But I'll probably get it soon anyway. Trying to save my pennies for a new lappy and wasn't planning on adding another horse to the stable.

Thanks for the heads up on the RAM specs. I hadn't thought of that, but IBM's site says that 128MB sticks are supported. It has 3 slots with a max of 384MB, so I should be fine.

Gonna try putting Mandrake 7.2 on it as soon as I d/l and burn the ISOs. Wanted to find SuSE 8.0 and try it, but that seems to be MIA.

you know I dodn't even try to send it back, for what I have on it right now, (redhat 8, very very soon to be longhorn and slackware) it's not gonna affect my performance all that much, I didn't really even care, but the fact that they screwed it up pissed me off really bad, I mean I never bought anything from them ever again, that's really the only time ive got an order screwed up.

Yeah, I *SO* know what ya mean. I just ordered a few DVDs and one they sent wasn't what I ordered. No biggie since I'll just take it to Circuit City and say I got it as a gift. But it's just the fact that they screwed up and I have to make an extra trip outta my way. I mean, if I had actually WANTED Pretty In Pink, I would have fucking ordered it. Oh well, at least I can "explore" the store a little while I'm there.

Speakin of stores, I live in west virginia, and it's actually a really small town, and I hear they're building a new mall with a best buy in it, sweet retail hacking heaven, it's gonna be awesome, plus I bet I can find good stuff around they're dumpsters....

*edit* holy shit dude, I am now a super 1337 p1mp this is cool *edit*

today I stopped by office depot, and I decided to take a look around their dumpster. It was 3 pm, so there wasnt a lot of activity. I found this funny letter to a store manager (i think) from this dude (who I think was a student here at the university) he said he would appreciate it if he could find a job for him, but he was gonna be away for spring break next week so he couldnt be reached, jeez, the dude wants a job but he's puttin his boss-to-be on hold....lol

I also found a rechargable battery and a laptop keyboard key (i was hopin the rest was around......but it wasnt)

I brought home another stray computer today. This one was in the dumpster of a computer store a couple of hours from here. I had to go out of town for some family stuff today, and figured....WTF, I might as well see what dumpsters I can find. My local ones have been dry as of late. This machine is a no-namer. It just says Tandem Station LC 466. It boots right up (into Win95), but I can't find what the hell kind of system it is or what processor it has. Where the fuck does Windows hide the system profile? It's like it doesn't WANT you to know anything about your computer. Haven;t been able to find how much space on the drive either. I'll just crack open the case...far easier than forcing the info from Windoze. It seems to work OK, but it has no Ethernet card and only has 32MB of RAM. So, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

Also found dumpsters all over the business park that now occupies the now-defunct Air Force base I was poking around today. Didn't look at too many cuz I was a little paranoid, being on an airbase and all. After stumbling across a VERY ACTIVE Air Force command bunker with 4 fully armed Security Police guarding the entrance, I didn't feel like getting shot for rumaging through garbage.

no trash is worth gettin shot at......well except if its like something you really really want.........nah, I still dont think itd be worth gettin shot at. :)

Half eaten donuts and coffee grounds, no. Phone cards, computers and other useful stuff?.....lemme think about that....... ;)

well, if you're fast enough, then go for it, I know my slow ass would get riddled with bullets fore I ever got a chance to turn around :roll:

Well, if my performance in 1st person shooting games is any indication, I'd be swiss cheese too. :lol:

Forgot to mention that i also found an office supply store than had just moved to another location, but their dumpster still had a few cool things in it. They had all these awards and IBM typewriter (what's a typewriter?) dealer promo stuff. I wish I'd snagged more, but I did get a framed award they got from IBM for being a "Model Dealer". The frames on all the stuff were really nice and the glass was all intact, so that alone would have been worth it. Kicking myself. :pissed:

i'm going to get one of them ameritech laptops... there sweet as all hell too bad there in the frount of the van :(

i'm going to get one of them ameritech laptops... there sweet as all hell too bad there in the frount of the van :(

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about, could you tell me what laptops you are refering to??

well i have moved since my last DD. so i went on a little UE the last few nights ( discuised as walks with my daughter ). to find that i have an office for Infograms Inc. with in throwing distance from my apt. I have to say last nights DD was by far the most exciting, both from what i found and that i all most got caught! well at the office complex there is two dumpsers in the back fenced in... i suppose to keep the dawgs out, well they didn't keep this one out. no locks or anything like that just some swinging doors and the dumpsters. the first one is the huge sliding side door one and the there is the other which is a normal run of the mill top loader with the lid. well i bust out my trusty flash light on the side door and its empty... (on a previous DD here i found empty mailing boxes that had video game names such as Xbox and Gamecube and names of games). then i move over to the other dumpster to find that a car is coming, and to my luck one of the doors is half way open so i quick grab the door and hold it shut. i swear that car took its dear ass time going by. so i waited till after the person in the car went inside before i continued. then i looked in the other dumpster to see a video game ( well i thought it was ). so i grab the bad and tear it open and i'm moving paper around to find this disk and i find...this email is confidential and private!!! cool here is the info that i found.

Debra Osborn COO/General Counsel

Webfoot Technologies, Inc.

850 North State Street

Suites 2-5

Lockport, Illinois 60441

Ph# 815-836-1224 x 214

Fax# 815-836-8790

Web addy www.webfootgames.com

and an anonymus FTP: addy ftp:webfootgames.com.

Then i wanted that game so i kept digging in the bag to find it.

well i looked at the disk today and its not a video game but an asset disk.

it has screen shots, game covers, and legal info on the game. if anyone wants that i will be putting it on the DDP Hub tonight after work.

P.S. about that Blockbuster info that i found earlier... well i lost the hard copy and didn't type the whole doc but i got the first page done before it was lost. so you can get that here

Dumpter diving is one of the last fun and legal ways to get free stuff.. congrats on your run, I just wish I could do it around here/had the transportation to get the big stuff.. then I would have a army of i386's lol

Some of the stuff i have gotten in the past ended up just being parts.. Im glad that you got a large amount of working stuff to hack around on, you may want to make up a list of info from tht book and post it for others to read as well.. The local CO shreds everything and doesnt throw out anything interesting, and this town is so deprived not much exists for the likes of me.. Congrats again.

I forgot to post that a few weeks ago I realized that there is an Electronics Boutique next to the pet store where I sometimes buy food for my cats. Of course, I had to look for the EB dumpster. And there it was, next to the pet store with "Electronics Boutique" spary painted on the front. Good thing too, cuz I'd hate to start going through the pet store garbage by mistake.......EEWWWWW!

Anyway, didn't find much except a strategy guide for Monkey Ball 2. I know there are some some MB2 fans here, so if ya want it, it's yours.

But the highlight was the homeless guy that strolled past me while I was rumaging through the garbage. He was pushing a shopping cart full of bottles and cans (presumably to get the desposits on them). He waved at me and yelled "How's it goin' there?". I nodded my head and waved back and said "Just fine!". It was truly a Kodak moment. B)

At least you knew you looked like you had a right to be there.. thats a plus and shows that you didnt look out of sorts for that quest.

Put the guide on ebay, make the buyer pay shipping - Easy money :D

cuz I'd hate to start going through the pet store garbage by mistake.......EEWWWWW!

i know excatlly what you mean... i have the Best Buy Corp office here and they had an in-house day care... so i stay away from that one!!! would be some good shit if i could get a hold of it!!! and not baby shit either :puke:

to get to good shit u gotta go thru baby shit, and thats some of the worst kind........

I've recently visited my local office depot dumpster, and found a really good supply of pens!!!lol

but I also found a multimeida card with scrabble on it for palm os. I checked it out online and its like 20-40 bucks Ka-Ching....

I also found the handset part of a siemens gigaset 4000, if anybody has any good ideas on what can be done with it.....

I also got a manual in pdf format, I dont remember from where tho.....

I dont know what I could do with it tho....

if somebody has a 2.4 Ghz fone, could I for example pick up their conversation?? or could I just cut them off (altho I fail to see the point in this...)?