Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elitch

suse linux, linux for beginners

7 posts in this topic

First post!ever.

I've installed open suse/winxp on my laptop. I'm having a couple of probs with suse, one of which I find totally strange. I know this may be a better question for a linux forum, but there are so many of them I dispaired of finding what I need in reasonable time. The lappy is a compaq v2000 and most things are auto detected in default config, except the graphics (ati radeon xpress 200m). For that part I was wondering if anyone knows of a good spot for linux drivers, or a good doc on writing drivers.

The other prob is wierd. I'm using an old 11b roamabout for wifi, it works in default, but not on my home network. I get on just fine from other hotspots, but not on my own network.Any idea would be helpful. Could there be a conflict with my modem (netcom nb5) as there is no net con via ethernet either.

Anyone have a good reconmendation for a linux n00b? I used to have a shell account ages ago, so am familiar with the cl, but am really looking for something that works well on my laptop.

Cheers!

Elitch

Let me start off by saying that I really hate suse for a variety of reasons though especially because Novell is helping Microsoft scare companies away from using Linux. But as far as video cards, I've never heard of that ati card before. If it is post radeon 9000 you should be able to use fglrx which is the closed source ati drivers. They are known for being difficult to get working though they will give you th best performance. Otherwise, the open-source radeon drivers should come with suse and it should just be a matter of switching the driver in your xorg.conf. As far as the wifi, your ethernet card shouldn't be an issue. Are you using encryption at home and it's not being used at the access point? I need more info to help you with that one.

I'm using 128bit wep encryption. I've tried using many different encryption types (ascii, hex, 64bit) as well as no encyption at all. The wireless card connects to other networks just fine, but doesn't seem to like my network. I just found it really strange and thought it might have something to do with my modem (even an ethernet connection is dead. suse sees that i'm connected, but i get 100% packet loss), but I don't see what the prob could be.

I'm prob just gonna try another distro, but was into the eye candy factor with suse.

Elitch

If the devices are seen then the drivers must be loaded or they are they are supported by the kernel. It could be that you don't have an IP, or that there is no route or gateway set. I don't know what suse uses for it's GUI configuration thing for network devices but take a look at ifconfig, iwconfig, dhclient, and route. They should be able o give you all the information you need.

I'm using 128bit wep encryption. I've tried using many different encryption types (ascii, hex, 64bit) as well as no encyption at all. The wireless card connects to other networks just fine, but doesn't seem to like my network. I just found it really strange and thought it might have something to do with my modem (even an ethernet connection is dead. suse sees that i'm connected, but i get 100% packet loss), but I don't see what the prob could be.

I'm prob just gonna try another distro, but was into the eye candy factor with suse.

Elitch

you might want to look at your default gateway settings and if it's not there manual set it

-Enigma

I used to have a cheapo compaq rz1710, battery life was really good even after a year of heavy use. Normal battery life with the screen on it's lowest setting and underclocking it to 150mhz was around four point 5 hours. The transition is a bit rough at first, but ebooks are cheaper and it's super cool to carry a library around with you.

I now use an old ass toshiba e740 (ebay 120au) and it licks my balls

anyone know how to install linux on it?

Moved this post from a thread on 1984 in Linkz to here. -Seal

Edited by Seal

Alright, I've sorted out my connectivity issues. Thanks for the help :voteyes: I've also found the drivers that i need for my video card! this will be my first time updating a driver using linux, any suggestions? Other than gooo :unsure: gle it? the package i downloaded is a .run file. cheers again