Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swerve

Need some VMware Workstation help

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I installed VMware Workstation version 5.5.3 and am trying to create a virtual XP Pro machine.

The problem is that after my bootable XP installation disk begins to work with VMware I get the following error (as shown in the two attatchments below).

I have disabled auto-run as vmware recomends but have not yet installed VMware tools as the offical docs also recomend as the option is not enabled in the options by the the point I am reaching, the error is occuring before that is possible. The error sometimes says to enable 'Legacy emulation mode', I have not tried this.

Can anyone offer a solution or advice please?

post-6384-1171496726_thumb.jpg

post-6384-1171496741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Swerve

I think you need to take a look at a couple of different things. I can't be sure but it looks like you have a disk in the floppy drive or you have a usb drive inserted in the system. If you do then remove everything you can. The other thing that could be wrong is that you didn't choose the default SCSI (Recommended) when you were setting up your disk image. If you chose IDE it will interfere with the CD-ROM when you try to install. Even though you might not have SCSI drives on your system VMware will use SCSI emulation to control your IDE hard drives.

How do you normally create your virtual disk image?

The first time I went to www.easyvmx.com/easyvmx.shtml and the next few times I used the inbuilt one with VMware Workstation but both have given the same error.

Another solution I found was to alter the configuartion file as posted here:-

www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=480524

This too left the problem.

EDIT - I have tried changing the hard drive settings from IDE to SCSI and it gave a couple of warnings relating to the SCSI settings but I selected to contine anyway and again after it tried to install, I recieved the same error as shown in my initial post ( "You do not appear to have a valid CD-ROM device" ) error. I used easyvmx to do this as it's SCSI setting are much more simple.

These images are of the settings and errors I had:-

post-6384-1171500420_thumb.jpg

post-6384-1171500429_thumb.jpg

post-6384-1171500439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Swerve

The official VMware site says the following in relation to activating Legacy Emulation Mode:-

Note that in legacy emulation mode, you can read from data discs in the DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive, but some other functions are not available. For example, you cannot read from multisession discs if your DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive is configured for legacy mode. You cannot burn CD-ROMs either.

Can you forsee any problems I may encounter by enabling Legacy Emulation Mode apart from the obvious features listed? All I want to do is use VMware to practice some script kiddie antics on various Microsoft OS's as if I were hacking a remote computer/server/website etc.

Thanks all.

I have never had this problem.. weird.

If you want to enable legacy; power off the virtual machine image, double-click on the cd-rom {mine is CD-ROM (IDE 1:0)}:

Click 'connect at power on' if it is not already clicked.

Click 'Use physical device', and change from 'autoselect' to a physical device mount (example: e:,f: or g:) <- this may be your problem

Click 'Legacy emulation'.

Click 'ok' and power it back up.

(There is also the option to make the device exclusively availble to that virtual machine, but this doesn't work with legacy enabled.)

Before you try anything, try selecting your actual cd-rom drive with the disc in it instead of 'autoselect' if that is enabled.

There is also the option to use an .iso file (a 1:1 image of the cdrom stored locally), if you have a ton of hdd space make an iso of each os you are going to install and keep those around to mount without having to insert disks; saves tons of time.

Looking at the error screens you posted it looks like you need to select the Bus Logic controller instead of the LSI Logic controller.

Thanks everyone. Trying to find the 'real' issue has been impossible so I have instead manually set VMware to the correct CD drive, thus allowing me to prevent the enabling of Legacy Emulation Mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned before, I am installing VMware so I can practice my script kiddie efforts in a safe enviroment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I have installed a guest OS (XP Pro SP2) on VMware Worksation 5.5.3 and then I ran the 'ipconfig' command from my host OS ( also XP Pro SP2 ) command line and it showed the results as in the first attached image below.

Running the command 'ipconfig' from the guest OS gives no results, as shown in the second attatched image.

An Nmap scan of all the IP's listed in the first image say's that Nmap is scanning the host machine (it's self), no OS type detection is possible due to this. The command I used was-

nmap -v -sS -O -p 1-65535 XIP hereX

How can I create a vmware guest OS which has a different IP to the host? I did select the 'No ethernet network' setting during the VMware setup wizard if that makes any difference, but why would it.?.

The purpose for me beginning this, was to all me to carry out realistic attacks, beginning with an IP address.

I think I am doing something wrong.

Any idea's anyone?

EDIT - My internet connection is ran via a USB modem, straight into the wall socket.

post-6384-1171840701_thumb.jpg

post-6384-1171840726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Swerve