Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ansichart

Unable to delete a folder... (Trojan Horse disguised as FrontPage?)

7 posts in this topic

I have been trying to delete "C:\Program Files\microsoft frontpage\version3.0\bin" however every time I try to delete the bin folder it says that it is being used by another process.

A folder being used by another process... that's strange...

I checked to see if the folder is empty and it surely is. There are no hidden files in that folder or system files. I ended every running process in the task manager that I could and then tried to delete it and it still said the exact same thing.

Is there a way I can see what process is using the bin folder?

Oh, and I thought I should mention... I don't even have Microsoft FrontPage on my computer... never installed it either.... so WTF?

I'm going to have to say Malware on this one.

Getting rid of this is not a problem, I can always boot into Linux if I have to.. but I want to know what process is using it? So I can terminate and destroy it.

I don't know if Process Monitor from Sysinternals.com might help. It's in the File and Disk Utilities section.

You might also try safe mode to see if its being used in there...

That's an absolutly normal folder and that's its normal behaviour. Windows woun't let you delete it. Use dos, linux, etc.

It is put there by default with windows, dunno what for. Probably only one more hint of bloatware.

Anyway, I've deleted it in the past and never noticed any consequences for doing it.

That's odd... I have the same folder and the same problem...

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

A must have program, I install it on everymachine I use or service. ;)

It's a program that monitors and hooks into windows waiting for a 'this file is in use' or 'this folder cannot be deleted', then prompts you with an override. You can unlock the file/folder from the process that is using it and lets you delete/move/rename the file/folder.

If the file cannot be moved/deleted/renamed, the unlocker will let you schedule the file upon restart before any other processes get to it, ensuring you can access it.

Not to join the chorus, but on my XP system with Windows Office 2000, I too have the same folder that can not be deleted through the normal GUI method.

It's a program that monitors and hooks into windows waiting for a 'this file is in use' or 'this folder cannot be deleted', then prompts you with an override.

Awsome. Thx a lot! :D