Alk3

What do you install on your Linux system?

11 posts in this topic

What do you guys install? I have a small list I keep up with essentials and extras. I run Debian Etch and I have sooo many options but I want to see what others use. I usually install the base system and if its a laptop, also the laptop packages and build it from there.. here is my list of extras:

deborphan, debfoster, localepurge, scite, dcd, eterm, aterm, x-window-system-core, xterm, xpdf, emelfm, xmms, fluxbox, cdrecord, firefox, irssi, aumix, firehol, upgrade to kernel 2.6.18, powernowd, gqview, VLC, mousepad, Korn Shell (ksh), nmap, rdate (time sync), conky, grub, menu, sudo, wireless-tools, netcat, perl, python 2.4.

That leaves me at 625MB for whole OS. yes I'm a minimalist. :)

Alk3

I use a vanilla 2.6.16.37 kernel. Pretty stable. With that I use amarok, amsn, gcc + make (of course). firefox and such. On my laptop I run XFCE, on my desktop I run KDE. I run Slackware on both.

i install openbsd, install over ftp to get the base kernel, x-serv, encryption libraries, ports tree which i then use to install mozilla firefox and encryption tools, apache1.3, php and mysql. looking at openbsd pf firewall now so in the future i might strip down to a minimal install and then jus install pf firewall.

My mainly installed:

Firefox

Gaim

GCC

Make

John the Ripper (I don't use it too much)

THC Hydra

Nmap

FTP

Vim

Fluxbox (with this theme)

Xterm

SSH (rarely)

And I plan on installing more (snffers, networking) later.

I have Debian with a custom kernel on my main box and I like to run, distcc, GCC, Make, other then that not much else.

@ m3747r0n: Is there a repository for the package 'sysv-rc-bootsplash' in testing? I compiled a new kernel patched with bootsplash and cannot find a way to make progress bars work. I was told that sysv-rc-bootsplash will allow for the progress bars and some minor flickering to be removed.

</off topic>

Scratch firefox and add opera. :lol:

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Alk3

Right now, I'm running Ubuntu, with firefox, fluxbox, gaim, xchat, conky, fbpager, gcc, nasm, perl, python, ruby (even though I don't use it), nmap, netcat, ettercap, urxvt (it's rxvt with unicode [and transparency!]), gvim, xmms, azureus, et al.

One of the nice things about linux is that programs tend to be small, and theres package management where everything is free. Because of this I often find myself installing numerous packages that I've never even heard of before because they look somewhat interesting. So as it ends up I have a bunch of stuff where I have 4 programs installed that do the same thing, just cause 3 of them looked interesting in the Apt description heh.

The only thing I don't see I think is worth plugging is flpsed. I think Debian has packages for it, FC6 does not, but source compiling for it is mindlessly easy. Flpsed is a Post Script mark-up program. You can use it to add text/lines to a .ps (or PDF if you export it to .ps) file. It's ugly as hell, and doesn't do much else (I wish it could somehow "decompile" a PS/PDF doc and edit it :( Ah well), but I found it really useful to for doing a pdf'd version of a job application I had to fill out.

gcc,gdb,nasm,irssi,screen,vim,httptunnel,corksrew

eeeehh and some other shit that doesnt come to mind atm

I was trying out mail clients and found that I like mutt with ssmtp the best. I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.20, added: snownews, ettercap-gtk, firestarter firewall, totem, and mutt. I got rid of fluxbox, emelfm, aterm, eterm, dcd, scite, aumix, VLC, firehol, rdate, and conky. I installed XFCE4 and am now at 725MB for the OS.

Edited by Alk3