Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nagant

Mouse problem?

5 posts in this topic

Recently, as in, maybe a few hours ago, I though my computer was freezing up... but, everything works except the right-click on my mouse. Left clicking is still working, but otherwise, I had to tab through links/etc., and hit 'enter' to go there. That's getting real annoying.

Anyhow, is it a mouse problem? That would make sense, except...

When Ubuntu is starting, it'll show you what's being started, whilst it loads -- it'll say

"* Starting (maybe it's 'Loading'?) PCMCIA...

* PCMCIA not found (or something similar to this message"

Would that make a difference?

Anyhow, thanks -- I'm going to try hooking my other mouse up, and if that doesn't work, what do you suggest?

Very often Linux will map mouse buttons incorrectly. I would be willing to bet that if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, pressing the scroll wheel will activate the map for "mouse 2"

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to remap the mouse keys, but I imagine google will help you out there.

Btw, PCMCIA is the large horizontal slot on the side of your laptop. Mice don't go there, so don't worry about it.

EDIT::

After googling "mouse button remapping linux," I found the following:

http://linuxreviews.org/howtos/xfree/mouse/

Note that this is for Gentoo, and if I remember correctly, the file you will be looking in will be /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Maybe someone with more recent experience will shed light on that.

Otherwise, I believe the changes you might need to make will be fairly similar in nature. I reccomend playing around with it a bit and seeing what you get. Don't forget: you will probably have to restart X for the changes to take effect.

Edited by subversus

Is there anyway to do this without remapping them yourself? I’ve been at it for quite a while (I must have messed up somewhere, and I’m just not finding the mistake, heh), I got to the point where I just tried to completely reinstall it… meh, didn’t work though.

I mean, this computer has nothing special on it, it’s not really worth all this -- pretty old, small -- no important files, etc. -- so if there is an easier way, fill me in. :P

(Wow, it feels good to have a mouse that is caring/loving :P [on my Mac atm])