Vangald

Unix Shell For Windows

13 posts in this topic

I would like to get a Unix shell or something that acts like a Unix shell (at least enough for me to practice with) on an older system running win2k. I don't want to make it into a dual boot system. I know there is cygwin but it seems too bloated for what I plan to do (mainly practicing shell scripting and such). Also I would prefer it to be separate from the windows command prompt (I know there are alot of command line tools that gives access to gnu utilities) or at least would run automatically when the command prompt is started (i.e. I wouldn't have to run the progs every time I start the command prompt or have to run from a specified folder to access their abilities).

I have done some searching already and ran across Windows Services for Unix and UWIN so far. Does anyone have any experience with these? Anyone know of any others?

I am new to shell scripting and I figured this would be the best way for me to practice.

As always any help would be appreciated.

cygwin, is your best bet. it really doesn't get any better then that, in windows

Edited by arewhyainn

I believe Cygwin will be the closest you can get in Winderz.

An alternative would be to hack something up that'll take a shell command and then execute it using it's Windows' equivalent.. except, Cygwin would probably be much easier/better (this suggestions shouldn't be taking seriously). heh

Windows Services for UNIX is not what you're looking for. It's for providing Windows-based services to UNIX, not being able to use a UNIX shell on Windows.

How bout a small distro running inside of QEMU? Like DSL embedded. Virtualized linux session.

I thought about that but I don't know if it would be a very good idea on a P3 800mhz comp. I would assume it would cause the system to run at a crawl.

QEMU does take up resources. I have an opteron system with 1GB of RAM and running at 2.7Ghz and it lags a good bit running QEMU/DSL so good luck running it on a P3 800Mhz machine...

There is a program I used to use that worked like you are wanting...I will see if I can remember what it is called...but I can't make any promises... I just remember that I was able to use commands like ls and ifconfig to do the windows operation

::EDIT::

Just FYI, I found this moments after posting, it looks like what you want but i don't know. The program I was thinking of was a beta for microsoft a few years ago of a new shell they were testing for use in the then named LongHorn project.

http://www.corion.net/econsole/

that is not a shell in the fact that it accepts ls and ifconfig, it just gives you the transparency options and invisible border like in linux...o well, still cool

Edited by kill4killin

UWIN

We used this in scripting class for the people who weren't running Linux

Alk3

I think the best idea would actually be to download an ssh client and see if you can find someone who will give you a free shell account. Some offer a selection of UNIX distros, so you can start with what you feel most comfortable with.

For the purposes of learning, just use a Live CD.

Cygwin is the best Linux simulator for windows, but don't try to use Windows like a *nix, and dont try to use a *nix like a Windows. A live CD will give you a better experience with no disk space commitment.

you could always try SDF. They have free (although limited) shell access.

For more features, you can mail them $1 US to become a validated user.

telnet to sdf.lonestar.org

I hit on this page using Stumbleupon the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems free at least.

http://linuxzoo.net/