Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckbo3o

Top 15 security tools

16 posts in this topic

I think everyone has heard of this one, recently evolved into the 4.x series.

Nmap (”Network Mapper”) is a free open source utility for network exploration or security auditing. It was designed to rapidly scan large networks, although it works fine against single hosts. Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics. Nmap runs on most types of computers and both console and graphical versions are available. Nmap is free and open source.

Can be used by beginners (-sT) or by pros alike (–packet_trace). A very versatile tool, once you fully understand the results.

Get Nmap Here

post-7919-1170513543_thumb.jpg

That was a random post.

I though nmap was quite a well known app...isn't it in windows anyway?...maybe not...But I have it anyway...don't remember putting it there...but it's there.

And what's with all the colour in your post...and ALL your previous ones?

Nessus Remote Security Scanner

Recently went closed source, but is still essentially free. Works with a client-server framework.

Nessus is the world’s most popular vulnerability scanner used in over 75,000 organizations world-wide. Many of the world’s largest organizations are realizing significant cost savings by using Nessus to audit business-critical enterprise devices and applications.

>Nessus<

Numero Uno: "Nessus is the world’s most popular vulnerability scanner used in over 75,000 organizations world-wide. Many of the world’s largest organizations are realizing significant cost savings by using Nessus to audit business-critical enterprise devices and applications." is a direct quote from nessus.org. Please quote copied phrases. No one likes a plagiarist.

Numero Dos: Why are you posting random tools? At least consolidate them into one thread. I realize you probably just want a higher post count, but that's really not what matters. Even if you have, say, 50 posts, people will respect you if those 50 are all informative, educated, and relevant posts.

Numero Tres: Nessus is nothing new. You're probably just finding out about the myriad of security tools. This should help. Sectools

Edited by xantr3x

No matter how good it is, it's closed source.

Edited by Octal

John the Ripper is a fast password cracker, currently available for many flavors of Unix (11 are officially supported, not counting different architectures), DOS, Win32, BeOS, and OpenVMS. Its primary purpose is to detect weak Unix passwords. Besides several crypt(3) password hash types most commonly found on various Unix flavors, supported out of the box are Kerberos AFS and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 LM hashes, plus several more with contributed patches.

Merged all three of your posts of you reposting the top 15 security tool list. No need for all three to be in different posts (especially since you're copying and pasting verbatim from the list) unless you're just trying to jack up your post count.

Since Nmap was brought up and I'm too lazy to start a new thread.... what's the deal with Backtrack? That's my favorite LiveCD, but I'm only seeing the Nmap GUI when I want my old fashioned command line interface for it that I'm used to. Is it in a directory I'm missing?

P.S. Yes Nmap has a windows version which is actually pretty nice, but if I recall correctly it can't do the SYN scans. I'll still take Nmap windows over any other windows based port scanner out there.

"P.S. Yes Nmap has a windows version which is actually pretty nice, but if I recall correctly it can't do the SYN scans. I'll still take Nmap windows over any other windows based port scanner out there."

If I remember correctly, this is due to the Raw Socket Filtering implemented by SP2; i know there's a patch to reverse it but I'm too lazy to find it.