VanRude

room mate's router

30 posts in this topic

You could try your hand at hardware hacking. Make a cable to the router that has a switch in it (it will probably be lossy as hell, but if you don't use it who cares. As long as it works.), At night, just flick the switch. You don't go near his computer and he loses internet access. If you want to be fancy, try a remote controled version...

Get a can of spray foam from the hardware store, the kind for filling gaps to insulate them from the weather. I think it sells under the name "Great Stuff." Anyway, whatever it's called, use the long spraying tube, and fill his speakers with foam. Do it from the back/inside (through the bass port if there is one) so that it keeps the cone from moving, but isn't noticeable from the front. This will work with laptop speakers too.

EDIT: You can also dip the end of his speaker plug in shellac, acrylic, or anything else clear and non-conductive. Unless he's reasonably bright (college does not necessarily indicate this, and if his AIM startup sound is a moo, probably not the case) he probably won't think to check it. If nothing else, either one of these will result in (continued?) buying of new speakers!

Edited by systems_glitch

Get a can of spray foam from the hardware store, the kind for filling gaps to insulate them from the weather. I think it sells under the name "Great Stuff." Anyway, whatever it's called, use the long spraying tube, and fill his speakers with foam. Do it from the back/inside (through the bass port if there is one) so that it keeps the cone from moving, but isn't noticeable from the front. This will work with laptop speakers too.

EDIT: You can also dip the end of his speaker plug in shellac, acrylic, or anything else clear and non-conductive. Unless he's reasonably bright (college does not necessarily indicate this, and if his AIM startup sound is a moo, probably not the case) he probably won't think to check it. If nothing else, either one of these will result in (continued?) buying of new speakers!

Use the stuff for windows and doors... the regular spray foam may swell up and burst his speaker enclosure.

I have a theoretical, low-tech solution I can claim no responsibility for: shove something malleable and conductive into the ports of his sound card to short them out. A lump of conductive paste or some foil. Not enough for him to notice a mechanical difference when connecting audio devices, but enough to short them out. Also would be best if it did not stick to incoming audio jacks.

Edited by Samodelkin

No point in reinventing the wheel think someone mentioned irongeek earlier http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/arpspoof read his article a while ago, he also has a tutorial which explains very well how to go ahead with arp poisoning.

Had a similar issue before and with cain & abel I solved it, if you can't get you AV to stop whining about cain & abel I believe that you can exclude a folder from being searched.