frog_bong

Proxy Setup

8 posts in this topic

I have never set up my own proxy server, but I know enough java/jsp to make a redirect. I want a proxy server that when connected redirects to a host without letting the client know what the address of the host is. I want the proxy to anonymize the host behind it, so that it takes root access on the proxy to find out the address of the host. Also, is there a way to use this type of setup to relay the connection from the proxy to another host on the internet?

I want a proxy server that when connected redirects to a host without letting the client know what the address of the host is. I want the proxy to anonymize the host behind it, so that it takes root access on the proxy to find out the address of the host. Also, is there a way to use this type of setup to relay the connection from the proxy to another host on the internet?

dirty hack:

#iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -j SNAT --to 1.2.3.4

you try to go to www.poop.com and you get delivered to 1.2.3.4. anonymize you say? well the src port has to come from somewhere, but in this case it will look like it is coming from this iptables box so your unsuspecting victim will be "hidden". gl;hf

WARNING: EASY TIP AHEAD

Just use tor. This is exactly what tor does.

For future reference, redirects and proxies are very different. A proxy, while it /does/ redirect traffic, is more like a tunnel. A redirect is like taking a left turn while driving. Redirects basically say "What you were looking for _was_ here but now it's over /there/" or "Just go /here/ instead of _there_" whereas a proxy says "I'll take you there but we'll take a different route, kind of like a scenic route. The destination will still be the same."

Yea I like tor, but I need something that will deal with custom packets. The kind of anonymous tunnel that a remote-access application could use.

The packets aren't "custom" or anything like that, the application has to support proxying not the proxy supporting the application. You can make applications proxy-aware but you can't make a proxy application-aware.

what about making the proxy aware of a non-standard protocol, in such a way that it ignores details but still passes the data?

what about making the proxy aware of a non-standard protocol, in such a way that it ignores details but still passes the data?

If you're talking about application level protocol, then the proxy doesn't care what you pass through it, it just forwards the packets. If you're talking about sending specially crafted tcp packets or something, then thats a bit more of a challenge.

yea specially crafted packets, not just tcp but in general. More specifically protocol encapsulation.