Widow

Loop Around numbers -- Are there still any around?

8 posts in this topic

There used to be a plethora of loop around numbers, if one dialed one number, one would be connected with another number. When someone dialed the other number, the two people could converse---AND, they were unsupervised!

Are there any numbers like this still around that do not have "supervision" when called and connected together, i.e., do not go through ESS? Please send personal E-mail if you know of any. Thanks. :voteyes:

Out of general curiosity, why is it so important you need all these dial-around numbers? It seems you are missing the entire concept of what phone phreaking is all about. No offense.

There used to be a plethora of loop around numbers, if one dialed one number, one would be connected with another number. When someone dialed the other number, the two people could converse---AND, they were unsupervised!

Are there any numbers like this still around that do not have "supervision" when called and connected together, i.e., do not go through ESS? Please send personal E-mail if you know of any. Thanks. :voteyes:

It sounds like you've been reading those craptacular phreak kiddie text files from the 1980s. The only place you're going to find a crossbar, step, or panel office in North America these days is in a museum. The entire North American network is digitally switched now, save for about 100-150 1AESS offices still in service.

Welcome to the future; please enjoy your stay.

save for about 100-150 1AESS offices still in service.

Actually, I did a count of those remaining as of December 2006, and it's about 50-70 now.

Yes, loop numbers are still around. They're just hard to find.

I would like to connect on a loop at some point in my life, sounds neat. Wouldn't there be a buzzing noise of somesort though if it wasn't supervised?

I wish I still had a complete list of all the loops we used to use back in the day. A lot of the loops that are/were around acted differently than the older traditional loop lines. Milliwatts played instead of high tones, more than one party allowed to call in, automatic disconnection when one party hangs up, ringing tones to announce new callers, it's not like the 80's and before. Still, if you look hard enough, you'll find some leet shit, and that includes the traditional loops, even ones that don't supervise.

And to those that went on that old conference a few years ago: I came across this old textfile that included every single one of the loop-style numbers we used! Go figure! And this was a fairly old website too. It even mentioned the name of the guy that ran the CLEC!