Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhatChout

BIOS access

7 posts in this topic

So, I've got this old laptop, and can't get to the BIOS. I've tried everything (including BIOS diskette from compaq) and still can't access it. Any ideas? The OS installed is Windows 95.

It should be F10, but if it isn't try Del or F2.

i got a craptop like yours too! mines a 410c i use it as a dumb ssh terminal running netbsd , sucker was nbever net connected till i got ahold of it

I think it's about time to bust out your screwdriver and start taking that thing apart.

I'm sure once you disassemble it you'll be able to find a CMOS battery or jumper you can set to reset the BIOS.

I have worked on a lot of old compaqs computers. compaqs puts their BIOS on the hard drive at times. if you deleted them you will have to reinstall them on the drive.

I used to use a program called CMOSER to access the BIOS on old IBM AT machines (the first 286 machines IBM made) -- they required a boot diskette to access CMOS, which is very hard to find anymore. CMOSER is a generic CMOS editing utility though...I think it worked on my Compaq 486 Contoura and the 286 Compaq "luggable" I had. Here's a link:

(apparently this is no longer available anywhere...)

http://www.computernik.cjb.cc/software/dos/cmoser11.zip

I have worked on a lot of old compaqs computers. compaqs puts their BIOS on the hard drive at times. if you deleted them you will have to reinstall them on the drive.

That is stupid on multiple levels.