p0d

A Bandwidth nightmare

11 posts in this topic

Ok, to start off I need to let every one know that I attend boarding school in the middle of f*cking nowhere. The school has a T1 connection that serves about 178 kids, all of em run Windows XP SP2, and for the most part that are computer illiterate. The problem (them being computer illiterate aside) is that the fastest connection I have gotten is around 26Kbps :mumble: and that was/is when weekends when almost nobody's hear. The network is built for speed, fiber optic cables run too each dorm and the school building. I'm friends with the admin :voteyes: and we've been discussing this dilemma for quite a long time. I have thought about implementing some form of traffic prioritizing but I realized that with so much traffic the problem could actually be intensified (E.G. bottleneck). :voteno:

I believe the max speed for a T1 is 1.5Mbps?

Anyway I... I mean we ;-) need more bandwidth.

Any Ideas?

I've seen a product called PacketShaper that did a good job of doing priorization. Question, can they afford just getting a T3?

Thanx I'll check that out.

I'm not sure, but I do know the school just spent an ass load of money on a new language lab. So I don't think its likely that they could afford a T3 this year.

PS: Downloading the Slax CD ISOs is a real bitch on this network.

Things significantly improved when they blocked Mspace, and Utube, but the student body raised absolute hell and the administration put pressure on the ITDep to let those sites through the firewall.

Edited by baby-Hackribs

A packetshaper will definitely help. Packeteer is one of the leading companies that build shaping appliances. And if cost is really an issue, there are a number of free opensource solutions. The company I work for wanted to upgrade the 2Mbit connection, but after a short study we found that one months lease on a 4Mbit line would buy us a packetshaper that would effectively solve our bandwidth problems.

Really? wow I had no Idea they had open source solutions for this, but which would be better a hardware filtering mechanism or software?

I would think a software implementation would be a bit slow, there's proly a Linux Distro that specializes in being a firewall type thingy... lol sry.

your insight has been appreciated, although I would like to know more about how it all works, plz post more if you can.

The more Ideas the better :voteyes:

Edited by baby-Hackribs

Don't forget that 60% of the internet's traffic is now p2p protocols or spam. :) On the raw internet, there is no packet prioritization.

yeah thats gotta suck, drive out to some wifi hotspot to download big files, or <for a steam update heh> host more local services ircd apache whatever, lol about myspace, myspace is so stupid and does kill bandwidth cause every1 has to put a billion pics/scripts and load em with eyecany templates, not to mention the huge lists of main page comments people leave, ive seen peoples myspace pages that if printed out would be a few miles long, just love how they converse in the "comment" field like it was fuckin irc, bunch of fucking daults , use IRC!! heh my X got mad at me cause I wouldnt let her mess with myspace on my network, he was right to ban it, also you guys should setup personal mirrors like if u grabbed slax mirror it for your friends if they wanna play with it, i'd kill to be on sutch a large fast network, we'd be playing net games 24/7 ;) toobad i never got to go to college, all in all if they cant get more bandwidth restrict it and just have more LAN fun

if you saw my myspace.com/ncic page u'd realize my hate for it

ShoutOutz to LuZa he's cool

Just thought of another thing that might benefit you: (transparent) proxy.

Squid is great for this.

And you can install DansGuardian next to it, this will filter out all (un)wanted banners, webbugs and some nasty javascript.

Having used an admin'd two different Packeteer Packetshaper boxes (even got training!), they're great machines AS LONG AS you get the one most appropriate for your bandwidth. My old company had 3 T1s pumped into a single low grade PacketShaper and once we upgraded to a DS3 and an upper end PacketShaper, the network traffic went from 80% utilization to about 3% (10% under great duress). They're easy to use and easy to admin, and it's very easy to track down abusers to place them under dutiful watch.

Although I've not used the PacketShaper myself, I am well aware of its capabilities. (The college I worked at had a sister [medium sized] university that would swear by it)

They mostly used it to block p2p traffic and from what I understand it did a really good job at it.

While most of the time I'm a p2p advocate, if it's at a school and it's hindering students from doing school work, I think it should be throttled or stopped.

If the school can budget for it, I think it would be a great investment. (Now all you have to do is convince the CIO)