Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
batman24

.mp3 , .wav, .wma (lossless)

13 posts in this topic

oke, am rather new to all the formats that are out there as far as audio goes. My problem is which to choose. I have 22.5Gb of music now and a 30Gb ipod(I would rather have a zune) I encode most of my cds as 320kb/s mp3 and the rest as lossless wma. however I recently got a about 3gb of flac audio (i woun't say how but you can guess). I converted the flac to 320kb/s mp3 as well and added it to my music libray. the question i have is should i convert all the flac and CDs I have to .wav so they all can play on my ipod (the wma lossless woun't play). Also i am concered about space, .wav files are beastly in size ~30mb per song compared to wma lossless at ~15 or mp3(320kb/s) at ~8mb.

thanks for any input you have,

batman24

320kb/s is a little high for mp3s in my opinion. They sound fine at 192kb/s (or lower) for most types of music. Is there a reason why you have them at 320kb/s?

Forgive me if i sound stupid, but why would you want to convert them to wav and not mp3?

Convert them to MP3s. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a 320kbit MP3 and a lossless format, and it'll leave a lot more room for more music on your iPod. That said, I'd also keep the original FLACs backed up somewhere.

320 kbps is optimal, but not needed. it's the limit supported by mp3. As for lossless encodings such as flac, you won't notice anything compared to 320kbps. I'd say high quality encoding is an interesting option for music you listen often and you listen very very closely too. Some types of music just won't make difference, like rock or punk, or techno. However, music that is highly instrumental or electronic, or has vocals, from my experience, you might be able to notice a difference. I'd say the stuff I like to keep with high quality are the rare stuff I really like.

It really depends on how into your music you are. If you're like me, you want everything a pristine as possible, which means you should go for a lossless format. Wma lossless takes forever to encode (almost twice the time it takes for Monkeys Audio or FLAC), it cannot be decoded (thank you Microsoft), and it takes up more resources during playback. I prefer FLAC, but then again, that is just me.

If you just want to listen to music casually, just go with mp3 at 192kb/s. For most songs you can barely tell the difference, and when you listen to your audio player it's going to be over background noise anyways. Anything over 192kb/s in mp3 is a waste of space because the improvement in quality isn't worth the extra space. (go with lossless if you care enough)

Convert them to MP3s. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a 320kbit MP3 and a lossless format, and it'll leave a lot more room for more music on your iPod. That said, I'd also keep the original FLACs backed up somewhere.

Thank you all for your input once again. I have decided to convert all music to mp3, and if i can like seal said make a flac backup of it.

thanks again,

batman_24

I try and use the 320 mp3 but only because I am a music freak and wma lossless is really big. I also use the Bose noise cancelling headphones. A bit pricey but great during flights. I wish I could find the DJ headphones I had many years ago, I just can't remeber who made them.

I try and use the 320 mp3 but only because I am a music freak and wma lossless is really big. I also use the Bose noise cancelling headphones. A bit pricey but great during flights. I wish I could find the DJ headphones I had many years ago, I just can't remeber who made them.

WMA losless is a crappy lossless format. FLAC is much smaller, playback takes less resources, and it's comparable in size to .mp3 at 320 kb/s. There is no reason why one would want mp3 at 320kb/s, unless of course their player doesn't support FLAC or Monkeys Audio.

The Bose noise-canceling are quite nice, but if you want extremely nice, try out the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7's. Audio Technica makes extremely nice headphones, as well as AKG. I am thinking of picking up a pair of AKG K240's for my recording projects.

Edited by Perf-149

Bose are overrated. Sure they make fairly decent headphones but Sennheisers and nicer, cheaper, and more comfortable. Hacnslash has talked me into buying some grados though, just need to find a place to get them. Oh, 320 mp3 encoding is stupid, anything over 192 is useless and you may as well go wav or flac.

Edited by livinded

Bose are overrated. Sure they make fairly decent headphones but Sennheisers and nicer, cheaper, and more comfortable. Hacnslash has talked me into buying some grados though, just need to find a place to get them. Oh, 320 mp3 encoding is stupid, anything over 192 is useless and you may as well go wav or flac.

Please dont buy bose. I am an avid audiophile and bose is wayyyyy overpriced, if you are tight on money but want some kickass headphones, at least get a Senheiser CX300 (or if you are rich get something like shure e2c) grados are also ok.

Seal: It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a 320kbit MP3 and a lossless format

@Seal: I have this audio engineer friend who can tell the difference between 128kbps,192kbps,320kbps MP3 just buy listening for a little while...hes a freak :wacko:

Forget about MP3s, just convert everything to an open format; OGG.

:unsure: If only it was that easy...

<returns to reality>

Please dont buy bose. I am an avid audiophile and bose is wayyyyy overpriced, if you are tight on money but want some kickass headphones, at least get a Senheiser CX300 (or if you are rich get something like shure e2c) grados are also ok.

Seal: It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a 320kbit MP3 and a lossless format

@Seal: I have this audio engineer friend who can tell the difference between 128kbps,192kbps,320kbps MP3 just buy listening for a little while...hes a freak :wacko:

I can't tolerate 128kbps for the very reason that I can actually hear a clear difference between it and MP3s encoded at higher bitrates. I typically encode my files in VBR, with a 192 minimm and a peak of 320. I still don't consider encoding at those levels stupid, as they still consume a fair bit less of HDD space than actual lossless formats.

lol xGermx

IPOD Alternative Firmware

I've said it a million times in IRC, ill say it again. my ipod 4g monochrome rocks rockbox the pimp ass alternative and free OpenSource GPL Firmware replacement allows for dualboot mac orig firmware and the rockbox OS, couple reasons why i preach my love for this device firmware hack, plays most if not all open encode formats i kno for a fact it plays flac and ogg dunno about any other wierd hardly herd of ones, also plays mp3 id test mp4 but i hate mp4/a whatever that crap format is. number 2 noneed for any software to transfer your songs just browse the harddrive and play your music, though as you'll notice with itunes.db and that shity music/ folder that itunes/gtkpod uses sucks whoohoo lets cryptically place the music in random folders and change the proper name to some truncated name and link it to the itunes.db so ... with a grain of salt nothings perfect they really dont coexist perfectly but thats just because itunes sucks, give it a try u might like it, i just love that i can drag and drop files/folders into my ipods drive and it works, lot faster then the itunes proccess or creating a large database and renaming all the files as its moving them to the ipod, oh and did i mention mine seams to record from the headphones nicely, cant wait to test it out at a rave or something with loud music see how it pans out