Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Printing in Linux

5 posts in this topic

I have to admit I have always been afraid to try to set my printer correctly from my Linux box. But since I became confident with Linux, I feel like I really should learn how to use CUPS and send printing jobs to my printer connected to a Windows box. I'd like to know, are there any good guides I should know about? My printer is an HP Photosmart C3150, and it is connected to a Windows box. I guess sending printing jobs might also require me to use samba, which I unfortunately never learned how to use. Could someone bring me light on this, and point me to some good info I could use for my poor Slackware box...?

I'm actually working on a tutorial for setting up printers under linux that should be up fairly soon. I just need to get some time to finish it up.

Just as long as you don't use a printer that's not supported by Linux, setting up printing is as easy as "add new printer". On the other hand if there's no driver for your printer (such as my lexmark z45) then you're more or less fucked and you might as well take it out back and put it out of its misery office space style.