Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evoen

"Can you hack it?" Documentary movie

15 posts in this topic

Can You Hack it? (2007) IMDB

I was wondering if anyone had heard anymore about when this would be released. I think the only thing more gay than the title is the tagline...

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is an unacceptable risk.
Reminds me of one of those Geico commercials w/ Don LaFontaine. Edited by evoen

It's got an A+ cast: Kevin Spacey (my hero), Woz (my other hero), Laporte (fucking eh!), Lamo (good stuff).... Draper (getting old, by all senses of the word).... Rose (oh god). Okay, maybe not tons of all stars (Kevin Rose? Why...), but I'd pay to see it.

Leo Laporte in a hacking documentary? What could go wrong?

I could do without him and Kevin Rose, but just from the rest of the cast, it looks good. Cpt. Crunch is in the cast twice, he must be in it a lot! Woz is a hell of a storyteller, hopefully he'll have some good ones :)

What has Kevin Rose done to be in a hacking doc?

Edited by BigBrother

What did he do? Didn't he found digg? And he was in thebroken and systm... though that's only a collective of 10 episodes. I think he is also in Infected. I think alot of the reason he's in the movie is that he is well known.

Thebroken and systm are kind of a joke. Sure, he shows you how you can pirate gamecube games, but he doesn't explain anything about it and he has yoshi do all the soldering. Same thing with cracking wifi, "sure, just boot up this live Linux CD and do it!", but he doesn't explain anything about it at all. He could have at least done something interesting with tehborken and sestym, but instead he just shows you how to be a skiddie warez kiddie whore with a wink-wink nudge-nudge we-think-this-is-cool-but-don't-do-it-it's-illegal. And "OMG I hit my wrist on the button on my jacket. OMG IT HURTS SO BAD!!!!!!". WTF is wrong with these people?

As for digg, it's an interesting idea. I had thought of some self-moderating ideas for a forum, but I realized before I actually tried to write anything that it's not such a good idea. Digg is interesting, but for a new site, editors are a must. Plus, he didn't implement it himself. I'm not even quite sure what he does except skim from the vc funds and get on magazine covers. He doesn't belong in a hacker documentary.

On a side note the documentary name reminds me of an old game show.

"CAN YOU HACK IT?!???"

Bop it! Twist it! Pull it! Squeez it!

HACK IT!

:P

Anyway I guess i'll have to see this.

Wow, I find myself agreeing with Ohm, what has the world come to? :P

Rose is a tool, he did not contribute anything back when he was on TechTV aside from hitting on the female staff. He certainly has not done anything since, 'created digg with only 200$' by paying someguy to write the code and convincing VC to mindlessly fork over money with typical VC zeal. Digg is not something necessarily to be proud of, I am unsure of how they expect to acheive any ROI - surely bandwidth/server/staff overhead are more then the ad-revenue? Are they accepting money from corporate sponsers to 'up rate' certain stories and further whore themselves? It would not suprise me in the least.

Techdirt > TheRegister > Slashdot > Digg, any day of the week - Digg is a good idea with a terrible implementation. They need an editing staff and a bit of credibility - how many 'top 10 firefox plugins' or 'link to a youtube video i made, i am cool' posts do we really need?

Otherwise, Woz is the man, Leo has several books and actual knowledge to his credit, Draper's credited twice as was mentioned, and Spacey for voiceovers is win-win.

You folks can hate on Kevin all day but his success cant be denied. Kevin is actually what wanted me to get into the world of computer security all because of his days on the screen savers and his dark tips. The fact of the matter is if Kevin asked you to do something for his show or wanted to do something you would (even the people who hate on him)

I cant not recognize Kevin Rose for what he has done for me and that was give me a sample of the computer security world and gave me the drive to want to learn more.

Keep hating

I wouldn't do a damn thing kevin told me to. He can take his skiddy methods and go play in traffic.

I wouldn't do a damn thing kevin told me to. He can take his skiddy methods and go play in traffic.

Amen, sir, amen.

Amen, sir, amen.

You guys are SOOO Hating. I find it interesting how some people cant do ANYTHING but HATE people when they are successful. Now if you guys can give us REAL reasons for hating the guy, ....oh wait..thats what I thought. Your argument is standing on yogurt.

Dont hate the guy dudes, Hes a chill dude.

For fucks sake man, start your own 'I hate Kevin Rose' thread in Off topic. Its no wonder we have so many users w/ 300+ post after only being here for a year. Im looking for info, not opinions. :blowfuse:

/me starts 'I hate kevin' thread in bit box

You guys are SOOO Hating. I find it interesting how some people cant do ANYTHING but HATE people when they are successful. Now if you guys can give us REAL reasons for hating the guy, ....oh wait..thats what I thought. Your argument is standing on yogurt.

Dont hate the guy dudes, Hes a chill dude.

Okay, last time and I'll drop it, swear to Science. First, I don't hate the guy, I have better things to worry about. I think that he's a tool and there are many reasons for that. It's been brought up here a ton of times in the past and I seem to recall Stank saying he really didn't want to see it again, so again; I'll drop it.

evoen, sorry to crap in your thread man, and thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard of this project before but I will keep an eye out for it now.