Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt

Mod Shower radio into Intercom

6 posts in this topic

I was thinking about modding a shower radio into the intercom system in my house. How would I make this a two-way thing and still be waterproof?

Just some cheap little thing like this

Anyone send me in the right direction?

its pointless to even try something in that direction, it'd be easier to buy intercom and maybe mod it to be waterproof because this radio isnt nowhere near two way communication, and bandwidth thats working on isnt appropriate for it.

Ya could just take a two way intercom and slide it into a quality ziploc bag and duct tape it to the shower wall...

or if you just want to monitor the 'house' intercom... rig up something to repeat the signal on the band the shower radio can pick up (and all your neighbors) & tune to that channel- wouldn't be very easy.

but IF you really want to do it... get another intercom... open it up... and cut loose the wires leading to the speaker and buttons... then hope you have similar items in the shower radio... then splice em back together... (ya know, speaker, push to talk, volume, on and off) & hope there is enough room to inside the shower unit to shove everything back into... Think 'brain-transplant'

Edited by PurpleJesus

It'd probably be a lot easier to get a wireless intercom and waterproof it. You could use something non-RF-absorbing, like Perspex/Acrylic/Plexiglass (or any of the other trade names -- see-through plastic sheet, sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores) and caulk all the corners. For the buttons, you could add pushbutton and/or toggle switches to the front and wire them to the contacts of the built-in switches.

It'd probably be a lot easier to get a wireless intercom and waterproof it. You could use something non-RF-absorbing, like Perspex/Acrylic/Plexiglass (or any of the other trade names -- see-through plastic sheet, sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores) and caulk all the corners. For the buttons, you could add pushbutton and/or toggle switches to the front and wire them to the contacts of the built-in switches.

The only problem is the speaker. I believe that using very thin latex, as is found in gloves, directly infront of the speaker would suffice. One would drill holes in a circular patter through the plexiglass, affix the latex inside of the w.p enclosure, then attach the speaker to the latex.

:paw: Soho

The only problem is the speaker. I believe that using very thin latex, as is found in gloves, directly infront of the speaker would suffice. One would drill holes in a circular patter through the plexiglass, affix the latex inside of the w.p enclosure, then attach the speaker to the latex.

:paw: Soho

Forget what it's called specifically... but 'spray-lat' it's this latex rubber used for airbrushing... ya paint it on thick and it's waterproof.... I think it might be the same stuff they sell top back shelf in the adult book stores just w/o the coloring.

or there is always.... plastic-dip... you can blend them for custom colors too! (yippie!)