crackedatom

Sending mail using gmail

6 posts in this topic

Right now I'm using freehostia.com and they don't alow the use of mail() (duhh...it's a free host)

I'm looking for a way to forward comments from contact forms etc etc to a gmail acount...I've only seen one php script that could do this...and I never got it to work, but on this host I have access to perl.

I know of a couple autoresponder scripts using perl...I'll be looking for some kind of mailer tonight.

In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone had and suggestions...its not really urgent...but I'll be redoing my site soon..and I'm just collecting ideas at the moment.

hmmm if i did up my old php script ill get it...it allows you to open a raw connection to a pop server and such and send the email

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad campaign from google announcing that you can use gmail to send and receive from all your email accounts. You might want to poke around on the gmail website.

A. get a script from hotscripts.com

B. get a real host

hmmm if i did up my old php script ill get it...it allows you to open a raw connection to a pop server and such and send the email

You can't send mail through POP, that's SMTP's job. You don't even need to connect to an intermediate SMTP server for this though. Connect directly to whatever the MX record for gmail.com is and send your mail. Since you're sending mail directly to an @gmail.com address, there's no relaying involved. Of course, you don't get the added benefit of retransmission if Google's mail servers are down, so keep that in mind.

If you can get access to pop or somehow get the email to forward to your gmail account then the rest is easy. In the gmail settings you can select different address to send mail as. I currenly send and receive mail for about 6 addresses in on gmail account. The only thing that could be a problem is if you can't forward the original address' mail to your gmail account.

I wish gmail would so something similar to yahoo and allow you to use their webmail as your own domains mail service. if they did this I could have all the greatness of gmail without having to have a @gmail.com address. Yahoo does charge for the services but I think you get a nice set up so you can provide email from your domain to people that work for your or other people in whatever organization it may be. This would be a much better alternative than squirrelmail, horde, and other similar opensource webmail programs. I would be fine in paying a fee if it was a low cost yearly payment. The features gmail would give you over anything you would run on your own is well worth some sort of money.