Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STDstroyer

VoIP is getting on my nerves.

11 posts in this topic

I am still new to VoIP and i have noticed a problem that is becoming more and more persistant. I use the phone for great lengths of time and i sometimes hear other phone conversations, as clear as my own call, on my phone. Usually whoever i am talking to hears it as well, and we listen in. I dont know what caused this, or how to stop it. But i am now thinking of using my phone as a potential scanner. i would really like to know what is causing this and if anyone has any insight please post.

i dont know. i cant talk to people when i hear them, so i can only listen. people could prolly hear i guess, but im not sure.

i'd be willing to bet money that this thread inspires some journalist to write another article about 'hackers eavesdropping on voip calls' :)

I get that too sometimes and and it's weird as hell, kinda like crosstalk.

Also when making prank calls I have heard distant conversations where they are raged and asking who is talking all that trash.

Hahah good times!

Edited by carwash

Is this VoIP's fault, or possibly faulty telco equipment somewhere along the line?

i was thinking of somehow creating a voip scanner with my phone. does anyone think thats possible?

Is this VoIP's fault, or possibly faulty telco equipment somewhere along the line?

I would have to agree, the nature of VOIP doesn't really allow for this to happen, at least not on the internet side, its all telco side.

I am still new to VoIP and i have noticed a problem that is becoming more and more persistant. I use the phone for great lengths of time and i sometimes hear other phone conversations, as clear as my own call, on my phone. Usually whoever i am talking to hears it as well, and we listen in. I dont know what caused this, or how to stop it. But i am now thinking of using my phone as a potential scanner. i would really like to know what is causing this and if anyone has any insight please post.

who do you use? vonage??

What type of adaptor do you have? or soft?:

I know I had vonage for like a week years ago now it seems..

and when I would be on a conf, then hang up and place another call,. the people on the conf could hear my entire conversation and I had no idea they were there until a friend called me telling about what was happening.. the adaptor at the time they gave me was one of those motorola" v terminals" peice of shit.

curious what istp you have and what ata.

peace

Something similar occasionally happens on my mobile phone; I blame faulty TDM switching equipment somewhere in the connection.

Isn't there a way to encrypt VOIP calls?

I did read an article saying that most voip services don't have any encryption in place due to bad admins etc.

But I'm sure there's something client side that you could do to stop people from hearing you.

Kind of like RainPortal for IRC I suppose