Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dial Tone @ School

Linux

8 posts in this topic

Are there any good sites? My hard rive died, but I'm going to get a used a gig hard drive to replace it, and I was thinking I could run linux on it since I'm getting a new comp

Start with a well-known distribution like Redhat or Mandrake because more people use them therefore you can get support easier. Your best bet is to get a book on Linux. You can pick up the book Linux Complete for $14, I've got it and it's pretty good.

Remember that Linux is NOT WINDOWS. Some things may not work right, that's just how it is. Work on those problems and fix them. You will learn allot.

i say you would be better off to run a hardcore customizer distro like debian gentoo or slackware (slackware r0x0rz hac's s0x0rz). it makes you learn more faster and it sticks.

i say you would be better off to run a hardcore customizer distro like debian gentoo or slackware (slackware r0x0rz hac's s0x0rz). it makes you learn more faster and it sticks.

i know that would work for some people, but wouldnt that be like trying to learn how to skateboard by doing the coolest tricks first? most people will fall on their face and give up. sorry if my analogy sucks but, i think starting with the basics is best.

i know that would work for some people, but wouldnt that be like trying to learn how to skateboard by doing the coolest tricks first? most people will fall on their face and give up. sorry if my analogy sucks but, i think starting with the basics is best.

no offense, but your analogy does suck, skateboarding requires very finely tuned muscle movements and balance control. to learn to use linux its better to try and do the hard tricks first because if you learn to do the easy ones you WILL be lured into the false opinion that you know enough. if you take the time to learn the hard tricks then the easy ones will follow.

I'm trying to learn Linux too (I'm in Knoppix now 'cuz I don't have the free space for a real distro) One of the things I learned that's helpful is that many *NIX commands are the same as DOS commands. Of course, that's only helpful if you know some DOS....