zal91

TWAT Radio

8 posts in this topic

Ok I am doing a TWAT episode about macs.

Fellow mac users give me some suggestions about what I should talk about, the main theme of the show is the experience of switching from WindowsXP/Linux to OS X.

I am also planning to also cover good apps and tricks for the newer mac users.

I run on my desktops WinXp, debian, ubuntu so I feel I can explain the main differences and pros and cons of OS X.

-Zal91

The only reason to own a Mac is to use a few pieces of software that are truly great, like Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Source-Connect and QuarkXPress. I can see why people with little to no computer experience would go with a Mac over Windows as they are generally less hassle, but if you are already running Linux there is absolutely no reason to make a change, other then the handful of software titles mentioned above as well as most of the products form Adobe.

I think you should make the show about making a change from Windows to OSX, maybe talk about the software that’s available for it. Talk about running a Mac as a Web server, Mail server or maybe running Asterisk on it.

but if you are already running Linux there is absolutely no reason to make a change, other then the handful of software titles mentioned above as well as most of the products form Adobe.

one thing that i really like about my mac is that i can run linux apps on the thing. I hear that the new version of parrallels will work like wine, and allow you to run windows apps without actually having to run windows. That would be really sweet.

but if you are already running Linux there is absolutely no reason to make a change, other then the handful of software titles mentioned above as well as most of the products form Adobe.

one thing that i really like about my mac is that i can run linux apps on the thing. I hear that the new version of parrallels will work like wine, and allow you to run windows apps without actually having to run windows. That would be really sweet.

My main issue with OSX over Linux is that you can’t recompile the kernel any more. I have a Mac Pro, G5, Powermac G4, MacBook Pro, Powerbook G4 and a few iMac G3 so it’s fair to say I like Macs and I’ve liked them for some time, but I could never make a switch to OSX full time.

Edited by m3747r0n

Fellow mac users give me some suggestions about what I should talk about, the main theme of the show is the experience of switching from WindowsXP/Linux to OS X.

I run on my desktops WinXp, debian, ubuntu so I feel I can explain the main differences and pros and cons of OS X.

-Zal91

How about securing the box, becuase as I know now it isnt the most secure thing out of box, and I already did a twat sorta like that this month, but I didnt cover security since I didnt know anything about it.

-Zal91

How about securing the box, becuase as I know now it isnt the most secure thing out of box, and I already did a twat sorta like that this month, but I didnt cover security since I didnt know anything about it.

good idea i'd like to have some episodes done on Mac's and securing a mac if anyone's interested please conact me at twat.admin -at- gmail /dot/ com

-Enigma

My main issue with OSX over Linux is that you can’t recompile the kernel any more. I have a Mac Pro, G5, Powermac G4, MacBook Pro, Powerbook G4 and a few iMac G3 so it’s fair to say I like Macs and I’ve liked them for some time, but I could never make a switch to OSX full time.

Who exactly is "you"?

Kernel Source

OSX - Compile the kernel

I love OSX and Linux. But they are very different animals that serve 2 different purposes very well.

I won't comment on the purposes or reasons because OS wars never end without bloodshed...

One thing every OSX user should at least take a look at is Fink

Fink has a very broad selection of Unix open-source software completely ported to Darwin. It also has

a nice GUI that easily allows even novice users to take advantage of it.

Also, here is a nice place to look for Mac Security

I have been using FINK ever since I have had my Mac.

It works very well.