Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vox

800 scan project

186 posts in this topic

I was thinking of doing a hand scan project of an entire 1-800 exchange. Can you imagine all the cool numbers you could find hand scanning an entire 1-800 exchange? Would anyone be interested in participating in this project? I'm not exactly sure how long it takes to scan 10,000 numbers by hand, but if we had a group working together, it wouldn't take so long. It seems no one takes the time anymore to hand scan an enitre exchange.

im sure that there are tons of 800 scans already available on the net. What would be VERY cool is if you googled for all the available 800 scans, put them together, and saw what exchanges we needed to make it complete. after the entire 800 range was scanned, Im sure everyone with a page would be fighting to have that. It would DEFINATELY be a lock-in for 2600, binrev, frequency, or wherever you wanted it published. I for one would LOVE to have it up on blandinquisitor.com when it becomes available, and will do whatever i can to help you make this project a reality

I'll try to bang out like 500 numbers...if 20 people do that, we're set. What exchange do you want to scan...you have to make sure its not like 800-424, which is ALL mci personal 800 #'s. there are also some exchanges which are 90% dead. Goy any ideas for a good exchange?

im sure that there are tons of 800 scans already available on the net.  What would be VERY cool is if you googled for all the available 800 scans, put them together, and saw what exchanges we needed to make it complete.  after the entire 800 range was scanned, Im sure everyone with a page would be fighting to have that.  It would DEFINATELY be a lock-in for 2600, binrev, frequency, or wherever you wanted it published.  I for one would LOVE to have it up on blandinquisitor.com when it becomes available, and will do whatever i can to help you make this project a reality

Those scans are old and outdated... The numbers aren't the same anymore. We need up-to-date scans. And I don't think 2600 would be interested in the results, they don't seem to list numbers or scans anymore...

As for an exchange to scan, anything but 800-555-XXXX! It's been scanned to death! I was thinking of doing maybe 800-325-XXXX or 800-944-XXXX or 800-505-XXXX.

I really want to see this happen.

You also have to relaize that the error messages among other things are different from state to state. You also get slightly different results depending on who your service provider is. its always a good idea to add your own npa and provider to the scan. Toll-free scans should also be done after midnight.

I think 944 sounds good...someone make sure that it isnt filled with invalid numbers.

Count me in. We can use my site for a central place to put all our results as we go.

I agree, 944 sounds great, I don't think there's ever been a scan list for that exchange before. Only thing is, we need more people to help out. There's no rush. It doesn't need to be rushed.

I just called a few random 800-944 numbers, it seems to be an active exchange.

Sounds pretty cool, you should split it up and give it to people, I can't scan certain number (ones that don't affect payphones) but I'm pretty sure I (and maybe someone else who wants to help ;)) can get it working.

That's why I don't scan from payphones... You miss a lot of good things.. I do it from my own line. I've been scanning 800 numbers for years, and the phone company hasn't complained about it at all.

I scan from my own line too, never had a problem, except from MCI, but that wasn't for scanning toll-free. They didn't like the fact that I was actually USING my unlimited long distance...go figure.

Oh yeah, I'll take 1800-944-2000-2500. I'll start tonight.

I'm in!!! *puts reserved sign in the numbers 18009443000-3500.

I'll just do 1-800-944-9900 for now -_-

Who are we going to send them to once we're done? We need some kind of organization.... PM someone? E-mail someone?

As I said before I can host a page that I can post all the results from everyones scans. That way we can see how far we are and avoid rescanning numbers. It is up to Vox though since it was his idea.

We can do it one of two ways. We can post the files each time we finish a range, or we can just put the entire scan into one file when all the numbers are scanned, then release it. Which way sounds best? I think having one big .txt file with all of our scans in it is a good way to organize everything. Multiple files looks sloppy in my opinion.

Kizzle, that would be great if you could host the scans.

Like vlad said, we need an organization. Who here is the most serious about completing this? I need someone else to be in charge of the scan... decoder?

I wanna do 0000-0500

I think it would be fun to keep it under wraps until it is finished and then submit it to a zine. It would take more work between all of us on the DDP boards if we keep it secret. If we make it public from the start it will be easier to get members but there won't be much of a surprise when it is done.

I wouldn't mind organizing all the scans and creating a page if we decide to have one. I need a project to do :).

I think we should just have a webpage with what numbers are taken and by who. I think it ashould be secret ('cept to kizzle), and when we release it, it will be a big surprise, and there should be an "inner group" of the people who scan that if they need to know something will be told... I think this is the way we should do it

Yeah, I think we should keep the scans secret untill they're all finished. When it's finished, place it all together in one large file.

I agree. For communication we could have a password protected forum, I have the php access for it.

Yeah, that would be nice if there was a special forum for this project.

I will post an email address and website in just a few minutes.

Email results to the944project@hotmail.com

Website is http://www.polycat.net/kyle/944

To save me from allot of editing we need to agree on a standard layout for the list. Also what will be wrote down for busy signals, people picking up, etc. Any ideas?

Just write "Busy" for a busy signal, someone answers write "Person Answered" (or PA), other than that if it is a recording will we write what they say exactly or just a summary. Ex "The number you dialing has been disconnected..." or just write "disconnected"?

How about:

Busy signals can be marked as: Busy or BUSY

Numbers that don't answer (i.e. ring & ring) can be marked: Ringout

Fax machines can be marked: FAX

Modems can be marked: *CARRIER*

If a person answers, it can be marked: VOICE

If it's a business or company, it can be marked: Company (Name)

*** The (Name) is optional

Voice Mail Boxes can be marked as: VMB

Voice Mail Systems can be marked as: VMS

Not in service numbers can be marked: NIS

Disconnected numbers can be marked: DIS or Disconnected

Anyone got any better ideas?

I like vox's ideas better...disregard mine

anything else I guess just write the first few words of what the recording says??