Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RTSblue

Recover Router password

21 posts in this topic

Press the little reset button on the back.

Doesn't always work. On my one Belkin router, you need to unplug the power adapter, hold reset for like 10 seconds, then plug the power back in while still holding reset, and about a minute later you can let go of reset.

Read the user manual. Or if you threw it out, go on makers website and find out how.

Googling for "*router brand* password reset" or "*router model* password reset" usually works too.

Doesn't always work. On my one Belkin router, you need to unplug the power adapter, hold reset for like 10 seconds, then plug the power back in while still holding reset, and about a minute later you can let go of reset.

That would work to reset the password but, the Op said "How can I Recover my password", meaning, that he wants to find out the existing password. Two very different things.

I know with some Linksys models, if you actually use your real e-mail address when you set it up, you can have them e-mail your password after answering a secret question. But, 95% of the time, (depending on what kind of router you have), you can not recover the password.

You need to give more information when you post something like this. What type of router is this? Brand and model number? "Router" can mean anything from a Cisco router (boot into recovery console) or a home broadband router (hold the reset button or boot with it held). No one can possibly give you a very meaningfoul answer until you give more info.

That would work to reset the password but, the Op said "How can I Recover my password", meaning, that he wants to find out the existing password. Two very different things.

I know with some Linksys models, if you actually use your real e-mail address when you set it up, you can have them e-mail your password after answering a secret question. But, 95% of the time, (depending on what kind of router you have), you can not recover the password.

but the post title says he wants to reset it. he needs to be more specific.

but the post title says he wants to reset it.

actually that was the moderators fault. the origional topic title was 'Plz Help', i just changed 'resetting' to recovering'. we have to change these things to be more specific sometimes, this time it looks as if we didnt get it 100%.

note to all, this is why topic titles and descriptive posts are important. there could have been an answer here, but instead people are having to guess as to what rtsblue wants to know.

The editing of the topic was my fault. I was the one who edited it. I was trying to make the title more descriptive other than 'Plz help'. My apologies for those I confused.

To Reset:

1.) Backup existing settings

2.) Hold reset button for 10 secs

3.) Use default user/pass

To Recover:

I have no clue honestly. (if you are using firefox however, maybe you can go into 'show passwords' under preferences and hope that you pressed the "remember" button when you set the router pass)

If your really set on recovering the password for the router, Ive heard of exploits for certain brands of routers that allow one to retrieve the admin password. Try checking out milw0rm or other exploit sites to find some. Just hope your router is the certain brand needed and that the firmware has not been updated in a while.

If your really set on recovering the password for the router, Ive heard of exploits for certain brands of routers that allow one to retrieve the admin password. Try checking out milw0rm or other exploit sites to find some. Just hope your router is the certain brand needed and that the firmware has not been updated in a while.

My router is a Westell veralink 327w

Worst case: brute force it?? You probably know what kind of pw it is... a word or set of characters so that should narrow the hunt down a little bit.

Go to 192.168.1.1

Then login, default is Admin Pass: Admin

If not, bruteforce

What bruteforcing tools are available for that?

Backtrack has those and a few others built in, with some handy dictionary lists if i remember right

either that or use rainbow tables, and for the host just set it to something like 192.168.1.1

Backtrack has those and a few others built in, with some handy dictionary lists if i remember right

either that or use rainbow tables, and for the host just set it to something like 192.168.1.1

how do i exactly do that?