kizzle

Where the FUCK did hackermedia.org go?

24 posts in this topic

It has been down for days. I might have to resort to checking a few websites of shows I follow. Fix it quick!

when did you become the boss?

actually i have been working on a new version of the site that is run by a cron job updating feeds, so it should be so damn slow anymore when it comes back.

Nah I'm no boss, I'm just a whiny user now and it feels good.

in that case....

where the fuck did hackermeida go?

in that case....

where the fuck did hackermeida go?

due to the overall site problem, we had to disable hackermedia until we get them sorted out. It was causing too much of a drain on the server. It should be back up whenever we get the serevr up.

Sorry I didn't let you know but I had to do it at the last nminute before I left town for the holidays.

The site has been unusably slow for quite a while now ...

Too bad it's completely gone now though...

Any updates on this situation? Or perhaps any recommendations for an easy to access repository for recent computer security, telecom, etc. audio and video? Hackermedia will be sorely missed if it never returns. :cry:

Any updates on this situation? Or perhaps any recommendations for an easy to access repository for recent computer security, telecom, etc. audio and video? Hackermedia will be sorely missed if it never returns. :cry:

Yeah what is the status on this? I know Droops is probably a busy man especially since he is about to be a Daddy, but from what I could tell it seems like a simple cron job to update hackermedia with the latest feeds only at certain times of the day would have fixed the problem. I could be wrong. Hope it comes back soon. I miss it.

Well, http://hackerprojects.org/ seems to pull from the same feeds. Give it a shot. I guess it still needs to be rewritten to run from cached RSS feeds for speed reasons.

Is hackermedia being hosted on Binrev's server or is it on a server that Droops runs?

The main issue I had with the hackermedia site was that it was really just an elaborate RSS reader. No real content of its own, and the MAKE articles were mostly pretty out-of-context. I support the craftiness, and I really love make, but why should an entire page be dedicated to making a sphere out of dixie cups, on a hacker site?

I liked the previous format of the site, which basically featured actual text typed by content creators, and a link to the new content. It makes more sense to have things like that.

I guess it's cool if you want to just have a centralized location to read a bunch of RSS feeds, but if it's for other people to use (i.e. a website) it needs to feature the ability to manage what feeds you see and what you dont. In it's current (i guess previous, at this point) state, there's really nothing about the site's design that would merit using it over their own preferred RSS reader.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

I liked the previous format of the site, which basically featured actual text typed by content creators, and a link to the new content. It makes more sense to have things like that.

can you explain this better?

the site will be hosted again on the binrev server. its almost ready to be put back up. it is a fancy rss reader. the old version was content actually put up by either fans or the content creators, but it didnt get updated very often, and was a very slow and a very poor way to find out about new shows. with the new one more content can be brought to the table. there are several features we want to add to the new site like comments, single broadcasts, ratings and a seperate rss feed called the mix feed. i hope people dont subscribe to the hackermedia feed, i want them to use their own rss aggregators to download what they want to listen/watch. i do hope they subscribe to the mix feed to get high rated shows they might have missed and new shows that have just started.

i enjoy people telling me what they would like on the site, we dont do the site for our enjoyment, we do it for everyone. but i would like a hight percent of people asking to help, instead of complaining about the site being down.

we are also working on hackerprojects, which will be textfiles, articles, pictures, howtos.

thanks to everyone that has offered to help and has helped, you are the reason hackermedia exists.

can you explain this better?

Well, I've always felt that Hackermedia should be a community site. Part of that title should require content creators to actually update the site with their content personall (or via someone else). Thats a feature I really enjoyed about the previous version of the site. I liked the fact that you would read a sentence, maybe a paragraph or two from somebody noting the release of their new content, and then a link to the content itself. A lot of times it was just a copy/paste from their own site, but the ability to make a personal note on the recent content seems like a feature worth keeping.

I know some content creators may not see a use in going around to another site aside from their own to promote their content, but being a community-driven project, I think that idea should be considered by content creators.

hackermedia has been a pretty significant source in the 'scene' as a portal site, and the one thing that seperated it from other portal sites was the slight bit of a personal touch.

I keep citing MAKE as an example, but I think it's appropriate. I found it kind of out-of-place to see a carbon-copy of the MakeZine weekend projects page every single week. Sometimes new posts by actual community members would get pushed back and drowned out by the huge Make updates. That's one more thing that takes away from the community vibe that I got from the original design.

Well, I've always felt that Hackermedia should be a community site. Part of that title should require content creators to actually update the site with their content personall (or via someone else). Thats a feature I really enjoyed about the previous version of the site. I liked the fact that you would read a sentence, maybe a paragraph or two from somebody noting the release of their new content, and then a link to the content itself. A lot of times it was just a copy/paste from their own site, but the ability to make a personal note on the recent content seems like a feature worth keeping.

well they can add those little personal touches, they just need to put it in their rss feed.

what about comments and rating of shows. shows that are hight ranked show up at the top of the site. i do think make's feed is a bit much. do you think we shoudl not include it, or do you think we should use them as a standard to get others to not skimp on their rss feed?

well they can add those little personal touches, they just need to put it in their rss feed.

what about comments and rating of shows. shows that are hight ranked show up at the top of the site. i do think make's feed is a bit much. do you think we shoudl not include it, or do you think we should use them as a standard to get others to not skimp on their rss feed?

having the individual info pulled from the rss feed just makes sense, it makes it way easier for people posting to hackermedia and to hackermedia itself. As far as a rating system goes, it's a good idea to an extent, but could eventually cause people to skip over those rare gems that are new or unrated for something that has a better rating.

First of all, I totally understand what you are saying. I know exactly what you mean.

I think I have a different understanding of the hackermedia.org site. To me, it is a place where I can go and see a lot of shows that may be of interest to hackers, all in one place. I don't think any of us know ALL of the shows that are out there, so this helps me find stuff that I may have otherwise missed. That is what I like about the site. Very few "podcast" sites have a category for hacking and if they do, they are filled with a mix of old and dead shows, new shows that don't last 2 episodes and never get removed, or the same old "diggnation" and "twit" commercial bullshit. IMHO, hackermedia.org fills in that missing section of content.

I understand what you are saying about "the personal touch" which is also nice, but I can tell you firsthand that most people producing content simply do not have the time to go out to hackermedia.org every single week and make a personalized post about the show. We tried that for a while, and it just ended being the same handful of shows every week. Plus mix in the other assorted podcasting/hacker sites out there that we would also like to post to. I would spend so much time out there posting and spreading the show that I would never have time to actually do a show. This is the exact scenario for which RSS feeds were invented.

I think that if you want that personal touch and some discussion about the shows(which I remind you that I agree with and also miss), then this forum right here (entitled: "Hacker Media") is the perfect place for that. Hopefully more content providers will start coming and posting here. I always liked what sl1pm0de did with his show. He opened a thread for each bi-weekly show to discuss that weeks topic. Forums just seem to be a better fit for that sort of thing.

I am making a call to all hackers out there making a show to come here and post about it each week. No, seriously, if you have a radio/tv/tutorial or media show that is hacking related, feel free to come here and pimp that shit out! It isn't SPAM! If it is hacker media, then it is discussing exactly what this forum is intended to discuss! Plus, you get an audience of over 10,000 daily unique visits (and climbing) of HACKERS who are the people who would be interested in your material to begin with! So please, by all means, eat my disk space and leech my bandwidth to discuss and promote your shows. Just please post LINKS to your shows and don't post the actual shows in-stream as attachments here because I will run out of diskspace for that. ;)

EDIT: OH yeah, I forgot to add that we should have the site back up this weekend. :voteyes:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. When will Hacker Media be back up? I'm willing to help if you need it. Some features I'd like to see are:

1. Comments.

2. Cached RSS feeds for faster loading.

3. Have it strip Steve Gibson's mug shot out of the feeds. :)

Also, I notice https://hackerprojects.org is still up which works much the same way as Hacker Media did.

Between me being sick and droops with the new baby, things haven't gone as quickly as we hoped.

However, the account is created and droops is uploading the site as soon as humanly possible. So the answer is "any day now".

droops will let everyone know here when it is back up and runnning.

Thanks Stanks.

oh its so damn close its in testing. its so much faster now