Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Canti

Learning Perl.

4 posts in this topic

Trying to teach my self perl (easy enough to get the basics down) but I have had a very hard time finding any good resources discussing how to use it for networking purposes (ie how to use socket connections) I'm hoping to build both a stand alone simple server to allow web access to files on my computer (already have it working some what) as well as build an anon email script.

I have looked at scripts I found on the web to see how socket connections are done and barrowed code for the moment but I would like to learn the syntax and functions that surround socket connections.

Any good reading material would be great!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Apress.Beginning.Perl.Web.Development.From.Novice.to.Professional

Part 2 (Chapter 5/6) gets into LWP and some of the NET:: suite, a basic starting ground.. won't take long to read.

Oreilly.Perl.Cookbook.2nd.Edition

Chapter 17 - sockets, Chapter 18 - Internet Services, Chapter 20 - Web Automation ; introduces a good variaty of methods, doesn't go as indepth as I would like.

Oreilly.Perl.for.System.Administration

Deals with topics not covered in the other two books, though still a lot missing.. I would very much like a 1200page inclusive book that actually explains all the default libs and modules entirely and then jumps onto openssl, snmp and additional packages like the crypt's or pcaps. Thinking I'm not the only one who'd like this.

I'd love to see a 'Perl for Network Administration', with all of the cpan Cisco modules inplay and maybe some new stuff like writing a perl bgp/eigrp/ospf/rip node to participate in the exchange.. could have soo much fun. :)

Is there a place I can purchase the ebooks for those? Or a free web based version of them.