Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
usurp

wireless electricity

19 posts in this topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6129460.stm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,743234,00.asp

the first one is better because it uses resonance.....

you guys should talk about this on binrev radio

I read about thins thing. I think it is a great idea. But i have some questions that the articals didnt answer or didnt give enough of an answer. How would it effect pace makers for the people who have then. Could a short cause all of our hair to stand up. And finaly would the devices that are being cherge say chargine. Alot of things cannot be in use while chargeing.

i think technology might be the cause why more people are getting cancer and stuff but i think eventually thru evolution we will adjust to it. But imagine taking your laptop anywhere and having it charge wirelessly.. seems pretty cool

i think technology might be the cause why more people are getting cancer and stuff but i think eventually thru evolution we will adjust to it. But imagine taking your laptop anywhere and having it charge wirelessly.. seems pretty cool

I dont think people could evolve to be less vulenerable to cancer. Cancer takes a long time to kill, and even longer to contract. By the time anyone dies from cellphone's / laptops, they're allready 50 years old and have 3 children.

I had an idea like the first article a while ago. Only using radio waves. I think it's brilliant and could work, though there is no way to deliver enough power to charge a laptop while it's being used. This is only good for slow charging while the cpu is shut down. My computer's max battery life is only about 4 hours, and that's IF the screen is dark, + I'm not playing any video's.

The second article was just stupid. From my understanding of it, they want to put metal contacts on the 'base', and contacts on your cellphone or whatever. Basically it's just how things are usually charged anyways. Maybe it's a little bit more convinient not having to bend over to plug something in, but it is by no means wireless power.

Hmm I just had an idea to elaborate on article 1. If you were to set up a few hundred reciever's near the roof of your house, and tune them to FM radio frequencies, you might possibly be able to pull alot of power right out of the sky this way. The power could be stored in batteries, and then transfered to your car, your cellphone, or your refridgerator. Combine that with solar panels, windmills, water wheels, etc. and you've got a pretty good system going.

I might not understand those articles, but what's so new about electrical induction?

look at nikola tesla, over 100 years ago he could make lightbulbs light up from over 5 miles away wirelessly. thats right i said 100 years.

He also lit his house up with a 30 foot ball of energy and said he could transport matter. Guy was crazy.

He also lit his house up with a 30 foot ball of energy and said he could transport matter. Guy was crazy.

if by house you mean laboritory on wall street and by crazy you mean awesome.

I think its a brirliant idea and becuase i actualy uderstand the physics her it makes sense.

My question on this subject is:

Where the hell would the fuse box be, in another dimension???

This looks awesome, but I'm also worried that this is dangerous technology. People that live close to high energy electric pylons (gosh, my English sucks big time here... dunno how to say it correctly) have higher chances to get cancer (leucemia, if I translated it correctly), and that's proven with studies here. I think the voltage of our high energy pylons is a little higher than in other countries in Quebec.

The voltage on the cables carried on HT pylons is around 500kV, +/-10% and is carried on very thick cables (the thickness varies depending on how far the cables are run) to minimize the conductor resistance and keep the cables cool. I'd like to see superconducting power cables myself; they can carry current over unlimited distances with almost no loss due to resistance and they can be run underground with a very high degree of safety compared to other types of HT cables.

wow, i just asked my old chem teacher about free/wireless energy last week. he said there are EM wave transmitters build specifically to plug into your wall outlet and provide a feild of energy for your lamps or something.

it'll be a long time before this is efficient though. just think about how long they've been working on solar power, which is almost the same thing.

i've heard that to use the natural resonance of the earth ( which has been rapidly decreasing ) and the ionosphere to harvest power may also be plausible. maybe it was nikola tesla that came up with that idea? many of his ideas were never patented, leaving them ignored to die with him. :cry:

Oh, snap! This is, in my view, hardware hacking!

Moving thread!

WHABBAM!

wow, i just asked my old chem teacher about free/wireless energy last week. he said there are EM wave transmitters build specifically to plug into your wall outlet and provide a feild of energy for your lamps or something.

it'll be a long time before this is efficient though. just think about how long they've been working on solar power, which is almost the same thing.

i've heard that to use the natural resonance of the earth ( which has been rapidly decreasing ) and the ionosphere to harvest power may also be plausible. maybe it was nikola tesla that came up with that idea? many of his ideas were never patented, leaving them ignored to die with him. :cry:

It was Tesla. He wrote a book called My Inventions (by ,of course, Nikola Tesla) which makes for a good read if you like spotting advancements in technology. ummm, and I think your old chem teacher may be pulling your leg. I'm not saying the technology isn't there (most likely would employ microwave transmittal), just that anyone who uses it would prolly have a pretty bad stomach ache :) Also, rapidly depleting resonance? I'm asking only because I'm genuinely curious, do you have a source?

This looks awesome, but I'm also worried that this is dangerous technology. People that live close to high energy electric pylons (gosh, my English sucks big time here... dunno how to say it correctly) have higher chances to get cancer (leucemia, if I translated it correctly), and that's proven with studies here. I think the voltage of our high energy pylons is a little higher than in other countries in Quebec.

Just curious, after reading Aghaster's post, did anyone think of Protoss when reading the word "Pylon."

This is a pretty neat concept, of course this concept has been around for a while, I'm just glad to see that it's being put to work.

when i read the word "pylon", starcraft was the first thing i thought of. the idea of wireless energy and the protoss pylons are fundamentally similar. does this mean that eventually we may become the protoss? shoot, i cant wait to be an archon!

2 w3lshrarebit: now that you ask, i dont remember where i found that information, so now i'd have to say its just some theory i read about. however i believe it had something to do with geomagnetic reversal.

Wireless energy has been used for a long time. They have videos on how it works and why (I think the videos do a better job of showing how it works) http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkVlkSnoGNM.

The only problem with this wireless energy is that it can kill you if you walk in between the wavelengths ( they also have videos on that). That is why our government has wireless energy transporters that say stay back 200 feet. The energy would just fry you.

It is a vary good idea though. :voteyes:

I might not understand those articles, but what's so new about electrical induction?

its the application of it thats new. the idea of never having to use wires for your devices.

yea, this is just using induction, and this is something that been around a while...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction

this is also how power transformers work... so we all have be using "wireless" all our lifes :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

http://www.howstuffworks.com/inside-transformer.htm

and what they showed in the link isn't some "magic" technology that beams energy thru the air, so all our gadgets are charged all the time... basicly it works like this...

• you would have a "plate" that you would set your gadgets on to charge them.
  • this "plate", is then plugged into the wall for AC power.
  • now the "plate" is acting like one side of a transformer coil!!
  • when you place your gadget on the "plate", the gadget acts as the second coil and using the princable of induction, electricty is transfered from coil 1 to coil 2.

here's the catch... <_<

this isn't going to work with any of the gadgets you currently own. :mumble:

WHY? because they're not set up to be charged in this manner!! For your gadget to work, it's going to need some kind of internal "coil" to act as a transformer, and charge the gadget with the appropriate voltage/current.

I'm currently a student studying robotics and electrical engineering... so this is my kinda thing... although i am by far not the end all be all on the subject.

I also am working on modifying the open PCD RFID reader/writer. Among the things i wish to do, I want to have the openPCD charge using these princables, because hey... wouldn't it just be the bee's knees to have the RFID charge wirelessly... oooo!

currently, the open PCD has no onboard power and is powered only by mini USB when it is interfaced with a PC. I've managed to build a powersupply for the unit that uses a 9v battery, and when i'm done this will be a rechargeable battery, and charge wirelessly, so when the unit is not in use, you just set it on the "plate" to charge, no wires, and just pick it up when you ready to go.

i'll be at Preaknic this year and i'll be giving a talk with Kn1ghtl0rd on the openPCD, so if you'd like to see this work in person, etc... i'll see you at Phreaknic. ^_^

and if i can remember, i'll try to post some pics and docs on the process i went tru to get this working on the openPCD

;) regardless, i'm glad to see people starting to talk about, and getting interested in this type of energy transfer. it has it's limits, but seems like the ideal solution for small gadgets to eliminate wire clutter and the need for a unique wall wart for each device.