Octal

Distro War

48 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

Holy shit, hac uses ubuntu :blink: Last time I checked you were a steadfast gentoo user, you've finally come around lol.

Openbsd!!!!!

although i hae just started to use openbsd after being a freebsd user for a while, i love openbsd dispite the fact that freebsd is more stable than openbsd. i cant get over the security of Openbsd.

theo de raadt is the man!!! :fireskull:

lol

I feel you bsd-roo! OpenBSD for servers or (NetBSD) But Distro wars are :nono: very pointliess.

But as recurring as the new users who enter the Open Source World.

NetBSD is for me since mostly the hardware I run on is sometimes older like a 286 machines with 16mb and. And I may need the use it on some other device.

But as Linux goes, Debian or Slackware I like their installation process very minimal without the bloat. I always like to install only apps or services I'll actually use.

If your new to open source quit asking everyone's opinion, go buy a 20 pack of blank CD's, burns ISO's ot the distro you think you'll like. Try them out, and you'll eventually find the perfect distro for you and your way of thinking.

Hey, that's just my 25cents

Oh there us a best distro and the name of the king distro is GENTOO!!!! unless the machine is a piece of crap that takes forever to compile siple apps then i'd spring for any os that uses precompiled bins

yea, isnt it just amazing when most distros becoming more and more resource hungry due to need of media entertainment, but u will always be able to boot netbsd , openbsd, freebsd, gentoo and slackware for older machines. it makes me feel good when my friends try and tell me how their rig shits on F.E.A.R and rainbowsix vegas and other games, all i do is turn round, put my head down and say, yeah i suppose my pentium3 only runs a dedicated firewall with packetfilter, ip tables and host webservers, NFS servers and encrypt things with 448 bit blowfish encryption. but i guess it cant play F.E.A.R well. il just leave that to my xbox360.

they just shut up.

i can really marry openbsd, and maybe cheat on it with freebsd??? :P

o and in my opinion, openbsd is just like gentoo, i just learn to live with building apps from source, drop to a console, compile a program and do something else in a different console, u wont feel any different. and il never give up an OS jus cos some other has pre-compiled binary... u learn to live with the good and bad points of someone or something if u really love them.

I'm considering making the move to Fedora Core 7, say, during the summer. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm currently using Ubuntu Dapper 6.10.

Thanks!!! ;)

i heard from my friends who upgraded from fedora 5 to fedora 6 were not impressed, apparently there were a few bugs and problems with sound.

erm, i would imagine apart from the package managers, everything else will pretty much be the same.

but then again iv always been using bsd OS's.

what would you like the OS to do??

if ur wanting to use it as an multimedia everyday use. then maybe sticking to Ubuntu would be the wise thing to do.

but on the other hand if ur looking for work or learning to host servers or maybe wanting to learn it, red hat is the OS of choice if the

IT company that ur wanting to work for runs linux workstations and has red hat support then learning it will be beneficial.

I heard Anaconda (FC's installer script) has a bad habit of installing the wrong kernel (the i586 on i686 machines) or something like that.

Anyway, I like Ubuntu and Debian. I'm too impatient to compile stuff on Gentoo, even if it's ten minutes or whatever. Slackware doesn't have a package manager (out of the box), and I can't be bothered to compile *everything* from source either.

The good thing about Debian is that you can compile from source and then create your own package for install or to keep for later use. Let's say you are going to need the ndiswrapper module for several 2.6.x-686 boxes, you just build the package on one box and install the package with a quick 'dpkg -i package' I have been building a lot of my own packages lately since I want to have it to install newer versions of packages (ie conky) and keep the binary for if I decide I dont want the package for a while. Just because the distro offers pre-compiled binaries doesn't mean you are limitted to only using the repositories.

;)

Alk3

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll bear it in mind if/when I decide to install FC7. I'll be sticking with Ubuntu for now though. Thanks again!!!