Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miche'le

2600 hz tone

11 posts in this topic

Now gather 'round kids and Unkie Ratchet will tell you all a story!

Yay!

Back in the day, many moons ago (1950s -> 1980s in some areas), the Bell System used "in band signaling."

Unkie Ratchet, what is that?

Well kiddies, it was a simple concept! This was back before these new-fangled "Digital Links" and "T-Carriers" where computers control how everything connect and information on where the call should go is sent via a data packet. Back then, each "trunk", or lines that are used to connect between telephone switches, used to send the telephone number you dialed right before your call!

OoooooooooOOOOoooohhh!

Yessiree! Before your call would go through, you'd hear either a bunch of Tones (MF), or a bunch of clicks (Revertive Pulsing/Dial Pulsing), it was a symphony of sound!

But Unkie Ratchet! How would the destination know when the sending switch was going to send a phone number? Or how did the sending switch know that a trunk was not already in use?

That's an EXCELLENT question their kiddo! Well, there were numerous ways. One of the most famous ways was a "single frequency controlled link" in which 2600Hz was sent constantly while the line wasn't in use. If the a switch wanted to send a call down a line, and didn't hear 2600Hz, it was in use or broken. If a switch suddenly stopped hearing 2600Hz on a line, it got ready to hear a phone number!

Wow!

This also had a VERY nice side benefit for phone freaks!

What was that Unkie Ratchet?

Well kiddies! If someone dialed a phone call that went on one of these links, they could reset it and take control of it! Say for example, I dialed a call to the next town over to me, a local call. The call starts to go through, and rings. I then send 2600Hz down the line, say, by blowing a Captain Crunch whistle. The receiving switch hangs up my call, thinking that the call has stopped using the trunk! When I stop whistling, it then thinks a new phone call is going to come through, and I can then send my phone call to Bora Bora!

OoooooooooOOOOoooohhh!

Plus, my original switch, who's in charge of my bill, doesn't have a clue any of this happens!

Wow! In band signaling sure must of been cool!

Yes it was, yes it was. Now GET THE FUCK OFF MY LAWN!

*wields shotgun*

*screams*

*fires a few rounds for good measure*

Haha, trunk imitation. I just saw a video of someone doing it in a segment from a online show named "BSoD". Pretty cool, even though, you can't do that much anymore.

Lets not foget Phiber Optiks valiant efforts at reviving this in asterisk form.. its well worth the endevour to get it working, check it out over at www.projectmf.com or check out some projectMF boxes over on the collectors network, which may or may not be operational.

And theres still Livengood in Alaska that can be blown off with 2600.

wow thanks uncle Ratchet, that was a great story

wow thank Unkie Ratchet, that was a great story ;)

It can still be used, but just as always, nobody tries things for themself anymore.

It can still be used, but just as always, nobody tries things for themself anymore.

Know of any places specifically besides Livengood, AK?