Shok

Should I be suspcious?

6 posts in this topic

I just realised a minute ago, that I should turn off Apache when it's being sued for testing (I did, but I restarted, and it didn't occur to me that it starts on start-up) -- so, to make sure it was off, and just as a check -- I 'nmap -sV 127.0.0.1' and the usual ports pop-up as open, with Apache and MySQLd being in them -- but I noticed 2 ports open, for 2 apps I had no idea were running and had never seen running.

Oh, I also just checked the logs, and nothing appears to be to be anomalous (doesn't really matter, as the logs can be edited). I seriously doubt it's nothing, but, better safe than sorry.

*drum roll* *flute thingy when king enters* Here they are.

1551/tcp open hpssd HP Services and Status Daemon

1665/tcp open hpiod HP Linux Imaging and Printing System

Who sued apache ? :blink: This is news.

It's pretty typically for printing stuff to listen on ports like that. It isn't really a problem assumiming they are listening only on the localhost interface. You can verify it by running netstat -anp and making sure the ip they are listening on is 127.0.0.1 and not 0.0.0.0 or your real ip.

You can always telnet to the ports and see what they say.

Hmm, nestat -anp doesn't display anything for it O_o

xD, when I was typing a post to this topic a minute ago, the computer abruptly turnt off, no warning. Scared the shit out of me. But, the cat just wiggled a chord loose. Phew.

Hrm. The services aren't running anymore, because of the shutdown (hopefully).. but, shouldn't they start on start-up, considering I did nothing before to make them start? The only way I can think of was they started on start up before.