Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Replica

Harddrive

11 posts in this topic

I\'ve pulled an old computer out of the closet the other day and when I booted up it didn\'t detect a harddrive. I tried installing Linux on it thinking maybe the old OS got corrupted, but no luck. What can I do to fix this problem?

did you check the connection?

Yes and from what I can tell all the connections looked fine.

maby check the bios settings to see if the drive is there.

And if it isn\'t what do I do next? If it is what do I do?

Try a 'known-good' harddisk. If this fails test the output from the PSU and replace the ide/sata connectors.

If all else fails, you can always attempt to boot off of usb/floppy/cd|dvd .. best way to run a linux firewall box or terminal, assuming you do not require logging for either.

Try a \'known-good\' harddisk. If this fails test the output from the PSU and replace the ide/sata connectors.

If all else fails, you can always attempt to boot off of usb/floppy/cd|dvd .. best way to run a linux firewall box or terminal, assuming you do not require logging for either.

I dont have a good HD unfortunately. **SIGH** I guess I will just have to send it in for repair.

You could perhaps move the jumper. Sometimes the cable select option doesn't work.

If it's not detected by the bios it's hard to say. Unless you could try it on a different box, because it could also be a problem of the cables, mb or psu instead of the hd itself.

If the drive is dead and you really need your data it puts you on more complicated recovery paths like changing the controller (if the drive motors still work).

If the drive is not dead there are hardware solutions but I'm guessing you wouldn't have access to them!

If the drive is detected by the bios but isn't working properly there are many software solutions that can help. The best one I know and the one I advise is spinright from spinright.info . But it's not free. There probably are some free ones out there that you could try first.

no no no and no

i had this same problem, want to know what happened?

the fuckin disk was "cold"

or thats what i like to call it, anyways, this might not be your solution but the drive made noise when it spinned... and it was not detected....

check allyour IDE cables first

then just leave it running for a few hours/day or two as i did

then reboot and for some strange reason, it worked for me :P this was a pc that was left off for 4 months...also had to replace the mobo battery but that was just cause it was 8 years old or so i dont remmeber the last time it had been replaced....

give it a try, you already have the tech guy solution option... but unless you've tried it all, dont put money where it shouldnt go :P

hope your drive works :)

So.. as if the motor of the hd was lazzy and needed to get back in form? lol

Never heard that before but it's a cool one. Need to try it on some old hd's that I have laying around.

Tx for the tip!

I remember a while back when I was helping out at school with some really old computers (233MHz Pentiums), they had issues with their hard drives. The configuration would keep dropping as would the graphics config in the bios. We eventualy realised that the mobo batteries were almost dead (just enough to keep the clock running). Once we had replaced them and run the bios auto-detect on the Hard drives, everything was fine.

Try to get a look at the Bootfile.

If can catch it, look for harddrive or sth. like that.

HaNoCr

:WHAT: