Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sendas

How do websites know your city from your IP

16 posts in this topic

Ive been seeing those websites that have ads that say something like find a date in seattle. How do they know what your city location is from your ip.

Geolocational database i believe, this works especially well with broadband where the IPs are more constant. They are pretty accurate usually which scares me.

I've seen them be both frighteningly accurate and comically far off. They don't seem to be very consistent. Also, some ISPs have a city portion of the hostname that can give some clues.

Well i am not to sure but i am looking around. First i would go to something that will give you your own ip address and try stuff on yourself to see if it is right. I can only get the ip and tell you your isp. I am trying to figure this out.

I will keep updateing this post cause i am very intrested with your topic.

There's nothing much you can tell from the IP or hostname alone. Like I said, you can sometimes get the city, county or state from the hostname, but that's really up to the ISP.

There are plenty of web tools like this, but most databases are not free. This one actually thinks I'm in Virginia, which is really far off, I live in Maine. Then again, Roadrunner just rolled in and subsumed Adelphia, and there are all "new" IP addresses here.

Is it possible to locate someone by dialing his dns server?

Is it possible to locate someone by dialing his dns server?

It can. DNS server records will point to a designated IP, typically one that hosts a webserver. So for instance, with jmcardle.com, you'll get the IP for my webserver. Tracing that will lead you to somewhere in the USA. However, if you use the "personal.jmcardle.com" subdomain, it'll point to my home IP address here in Canada. It's all about configuration. The DNS server itself in my case is hosted in the USA.

Don't forget the whois database. Do a reverse lookup on the IP and if it resolves to a domain name, look it up on whois and people often have home addresses in there. Not really an automated thing, but worth mentioning.

If those sites really bother you, you could always use Firefox and install the SwitchProxy extension.

It takes a list of available public proxy servers (lists of those can be Googled) and switches from one to the next down the list on a timer (you can set how many seconds you'd like between proxy changes). There are public proxy servers in operation in many countries on all continents of the world, so they can never know exactly where you're really located.

Maybe I'll try connecting to one of those banners through a proxy in, say Kandahar, Afghanistan and see what the "hot girls in my area" pics look like over there...

Edited by MyNameIsURL

Geolocational database i believe, this works especially well with broadband where the IPs are more constant. They are pretty accurate usually which scares me.

Geolocational database ? ... can ya explain ? ... I figured the sites just resolved your IP address/dns which reveals most of the data

Geolocational database ? ... can ya explain ? ... I figured the sites just resolved your IP address/dns which reveals most of the data

ISP have IP blocks reserved. So for instance, 218.231.*.* belongs to ISP X. ISP X is German, and assigns 218.231.254.* to setups in regions Y. That's how there can be databases that know locality w/o actively seeking out information each time.

Also, due to freedom of information act, if your in america, they can just ask and they'll know everything :blowfuse:

heh i use this one

www.dnsstuff.com -> cute place

and cause i just saw the post here, mynameisURL your nick owns :P

I'd have to second the dnsstuff.com site. They have some nice in browser tools to get started in footprinting.

I'd have to second the dnsstuff.com site. They have some nice in browser tools to get started in footprinting.

Hehe ..yea I use this alot too....thought it was just me ..

@seal..ah ok..I get it now..thx

I always assumed that they just had some whois database and then it they used some type of server side language like php to do a sql query the the database.