Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mazmac24

PS3/Windows

12 posts in this topic

Hypothetically speaking, would youi be able to install and run Windows XP/Vista on a Playstation 3?

Practically speaking: Why?

And I'm you would most likely have to do some software hacking to port it, which would probably violate the Windows EULA.

Cell ain't x86 compatible at all. Therefore, x86-based Windows wouldn't be able to run even the installer (in addition to hardware/hw-management issues.) As "no one" except Microsoft have access to the entire kernel code, only they could make the theoretical changes necessary to get anything to work.

Linux yes, Windows no.

This is a tad off topic but how powerful is the PS3 cell processor?

Edited by mazmac24

It has 8 cores though. There's some very interesting reading on the IBM site (probably on developerworks) about the Cell, and the challenges faced by its programmers. While 8 cores (I think one is a PPC core, the other 7 are much simpler RISC cores) might sound like a good deal on the PC, the type of parallelization on the PC thus far has been more in line with batch processing (think encoding video), not realtime programs. The toolchain developers had a hard time with such fine-grained parallels, that was one of the many reasons for the delay.

The real answer here is "no one really knows". The Cell has huge potential, but they're definately trying something new here. If the Cell were made by some upstart, it would never get off the ground, no one would invest in something like that. Of course, IBM, Sony and others are behind it and they can force the innovations required. Just another example of the gaming market forcing (fostering?) innovation with the promise of huge profits.

As always, I wouldn't expect too much from the first generation of games. This sounds like a very difficult machine to program, but once skilled programmers get plenty of practice an the machine, I think we'll see the Cell doing some really cool things.

i bet there willl eventually be a some sort of virtualpc app where you can emulate x86 architecture. You allready know the thing will mostlikely be uber hackable, so if the potentials of linux can be unlocked, even if it ran like shit, someone will make an emulation app for at least the main 64 bit cpu, but then again thats only my guess.

Ohm: But because of the Core and the Blu-ray, I hear developers are shying away from the PS3 a bit. Mostly because it's a bitch to work with.

That's true, but like I said, where there's money to be made, there are people willing to work through things like that. Money (lots of money) can force a lot of things that would otherwise never happen.

yes.

Kutaragi said the PS3 will run operating systems as applications. "The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and (Mac OS) Tiger, if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out," he adds.

source

Edited by tetsuharu

yes.

Kutaragi said the PS3 will run operating systems as applications. "The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and (Mac OS) Tiger, if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out," he adds.

source

Noticed how the source article had emphasis on the words "if the publishers want to do so."

The products are not currently compatible. Neither Windows nor MacOSX.

Linux will run on the Cell for the same reason that some Linux distros runs on Sparc64: people are there to make the necessary changes. But with Windows, its up to Microsoft. And whereas the idea of having Linux compatible is quite feasible (ain't it already running on Linux?), it is highly doubtful that Microsoft would invest any amount of time into such an idea.