Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epew23

Free calls on a pay phone

12 posts in this topic

I was reading a paper about how a phone diafram works. When i took a look at the diagram of the inside of a pay phone i realized that the way it connects the calls is a simple relay. If you took a paper clip and attacted it to the relay and then held it up to the the meta coating by wedging it up into the rubber you may get a free call. I havent tried it but i think it might work on older pay phones. Then again i do have a call phone.

I heard something like that too. I hear that some Automated Coin Tolling System (ACTS) payphones mute the microphone until you put coins through the slot, which partially stops Red Boxing. And apparantly if you ground the receiver to the metal coard the microphone will no longer be muted. To test if the microphone is muted or not blow into the microphone and if you can hear it in the ear peace it's not muted, otherwise it is.

I am not sure how valid this information is, I just remember reading something like that a while back. Anyway, It's kind of hard to find ACTS payphones now-a-days, most of them are switching to COCOT or Hybrid's. A neat trick to find out if the phone is an ACTS payphone is by looking where the coard hooks up to... if it hooks up to the left side of the box it's generally a COCOT... if it hooks up to the front of the box it's generally a ACTS. Also if it doesn't have a coin return button it's generally an ACTS.

But to be absolutely certain if a Payphone is an ACTS or not, call 1-877-TADA-LOL. It's an ANAC Circuit that also outouts the ANI II codes [27 ACTS payphone 29 Prison phones 62 Cellular phones 70 Cocot Payphone].

Thats some old school shit, but anyways, how it's supposed to work is like this-

Since the mouth piece is glued on you either have to punch a hole in it ( but don't go through the speaker)

with a nail or whatever . Or use a mini blowtorch to loosen the glue and unscrew it. Punching it would be best.

Once thats done ,put one end of the paper clip into the hole to touch metal, and the other end under the blue guy. You know-the blue rubber piece under the mouth piece. Now dial a LOCAL number, and on the last digit ,

hold the button in and pull the paper clip out of the blue guy while doing so.

I have never tried this , but thats how it's supposed to work-peace-Rpm

Thats some old school shit, but anyways, how it's supposed to work is like this-

Since the mouth piece is glued on you either have to punch a hole in it ( but don't go through the speaker)

with a nail or whatever . Or use a mini blowtorch to loosen the glue and unscrew it. Punching it would be best.

Once thats done ,put one end of the paper clip into the hole to touch metal, and the other end under the blue guy. You know-the blue rubber piece under the mouth piece. Now dial a LOCAL number, and on the last digit ,

hold the button in and pull the paper clip out of the blue guy while doing so.

I have never tried this , but thats how it's supposed to work-peace-Rpm

ive heard that too...anyone have an idea on what makes this "work?"

i find it hard to beleive.

It used to work back in the day... have not tried it in about 8 years now. But it definetly did work at one point in time.

Reminds me of a movie I saw once...

wargames03.jpg

with a nail or whatever .

My mom told me she made a call like this to her mother once when she and her sister got lost in NYC and had no money, this was AGES ago. I'll have to ask her what part of the phone she grounded, but I doubt it still works, its been so long.

Reminds me of a movie I saw once...

wargames03.jpg

Hehe, yeah I remember that picture. Anyway, the reason why this worked is because when a local call is placed, the switch does a ground test to see if you inserted the required amount of money. If you use a piece of metal to create your own ground, the test will still be sucessful, and your call is placed free of charge. I haven't tried doing this from the mouthpiece of a payphone, but there's a Verizon payphone I know of with the TIP and RING exposed, which would allow me to use a wire to create a ground. This is still very plausible because the ground test is still used for local calls, but I forget the exact amount of time you need to keep the line grounded.

Do not confuse this with red boxing, because direct dialed local calls DO NOT use ACTS as a method of coin verification; instead the ground test is used. When dialing regional toll (also called local toll), you may still get the familiar ACTS prompt you're used to. If red boxing is your thing, I have a whole article full of this information coming out within the next 2 issues of 2600 magazine. Red boxing is still possible, and you DO NOT need to use the local operator all the time.

Somebody went round breaking open the handsets of payphones where I live recently, maybe thats what they were doing...

Did you get this from Wargames? Now that is old school! (early 80s?)..

It used to work back in the day... have not tried it in about 8 years now. But it definetly did work at one point in time.

Like i said. Only on older phones. The shape of the paper clip should be this.

********************___

----------|************|

*******|************|

*******|************|

*******|************|Please note

*******|************|That a * means

******* -----------------Empty space.

I will post a pic of it in a bit bout 3 hours

This makeds it possible only on older pay phones. I notices when i tryied it on a normal phone i got a shock. It was funny. Lol. Well. I also was messing around with another pay phone that i saw with exposes wires. Now this phone was out of service so i am not sure if it is still the same but the internal layout of the wires was like so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Red

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Blue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Copper (a.k.a. Ground)

--------------------------------------------------------\/\/------------------------------ Red ( \/\/ = Resistor red brown violet was the layout with the gold stripe to show the positive side.) I figured the ground was useless so i ignored it. I found though that even thought it is out of service when i connected the resited red to the normal red i got a dial tone. LOL!!! funny stuff. I was amazed. I also disabled to Temporary coin tray and then i put money in and dial my house. When i tryed to talk my mom couldnt hear me. Well i thing that either the mic is broken or it was out of service in an odd way. Any ideas as to why i couldnt talk. I still think that was cool!!!!

Edited by epew23

Nice photo. I just made the thing now. Here is a pic of it.

DSCF1518.jpg