Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fasttrain

browser problem

7 posts in this topic

hi Guys,

i am at work and about 90% of the terminals are unable to load a web page. The only thing that comes up is a "white" (blank) page and it says its done loading. i have tried to load all different web sites with IE and Firefox with the same results. i can do a google search from the tool bar and get the search results but i can not go to the google site. i can not click on one of the links and get the page to come up.

need some ideas on where to start looking for the problem. the other 10% of the terminals are a mixed bag of win98se and win 2000 pro: with no problems.

thanks.

fasttrain

the first thing _i_ would do is try to determine if it's really a browser problem or not. are the ten percent working machines getting their internet the same way as the ninety percent that aren't working? can you get other types of traffic (other meaning not http traffic) out on those boxes? email - ftp - ping - etc..?

also, since you can get searches (at least the titles) from the google toolbar, have you tried checking the cached versions of the search results?

*shrugs* are you behind some kind of proxy?

--cid

yes, you are right. i don't think it is a browser problem. if that were the case then it would be some kind of config problem. i don't think that yesterday everything would be fine and today its not.

anyway, yes i have a proxy server. it is the e-mail server. can we get our e-mail?, yes we can.

i have tried to ping outside sites and have no problem getting a good responce from any of our win machines.

fasttrain

Edited by fasttrain

If you can ping sites by IP, but can't access them via a browser, check your DNS settings and servers. It sounds to me like some of your machines have the wrong server IP address or the server is just not responding for some reason.

If you can ping sites by IP, but can't access them via a browser, check your DNS settings and servers. It sounds to me like some of your machines have the wrong server IP address or the server is just not responding for some reason.

I can ping with the IP address or the site name. both ways i get a good responce.

now i am looking at the e-mail server for correct config. i don't think i will find anything.

fasttrain

Hi Guys,

found the problem. an auto virus update last night closed the port that i use for internet web browsing.

i have a list of them and you have to scroll down to see them all. i finally rechecked and opened the port, and now back to the norm; i hope.

thanks for the response. Its reassuring to know i have some great tech support behind me.

fasttrain