phreakmac

Insane web hosting deal!

20 posts in this topic

Sounds like a gimmick, I don't see how they could really offer anywhere near that. If you sign up, watch out: Sites like this will cancel your account if you go anywhere near the quoted amounts, because you will be using up so many resources, which their TOS will then allow to discontinue your contract.

Sounds like a gimmick, I don't see how they could really offer anywhere near that. If you sign up, watch out: Sites like this will cancel your account if you go anywhere near the quoted amounts, because you will be using up so many resources, which their TOS will then allow to discontinue your contract.

Will definetly look out for that. But you have to agree that is an insane deal if it is for real.

Will definetly look out for that. But you have to agree that is an insane deal if it is for real.

GIJoe is right about that. They know that 99.99% of people who sign up will never use anything close to that amount of resources. You also have to sign up for 2 years, which sucks if you end up not likely the service for some reason you still have to fork over the $120 in total. Sure you get all that space, but you'll probably end up with 0.5% of CPU time on that box. With that, hosting a site like BinRev would suck since it would incredibly slow.

With hosting there is always a gimmick, a work, or a shoot when it comes to the deal. There has to be for a company to make lots of money doing it. Find a company that is just looking to make a small amount of cash in hosting and then you will find a deal.

I might also worry about security on such a plan. Shared hosts are not known for security and if their objective is to get as many people on the server for as little as possible money, it's a concern. Pay the extra money for a virtual server. It might be expensive, but not only are you your own admin and can run whatever software you want, but there's no risk of other users on the system snooping around.

I'm going to go ahead and pimp Dreamhost again. Currently, I have 200.5GB (goes up 1GB each week) of space and 2200GB (goes up 16GB each week) of bandwidth. I pay something like $9.95 a month. If you want to signup with Dreamhost you can use the code RISC and get $50 off, which takes care of the setup fee. They also give you a free domain for one year.

I'm going to go ahead and pimp Dreamhost again. Currently, I have 200.5GB (goes up 1GB each week) of space and 2200GB (goes up 16GB each week) of bandwidth. I pay something like $9.95 a month. If you want to signup with Dreamhost you can use the code RISC and get $50 off, which takes care of the setup fee. They also give you a free domain for one year.

Sounds like a steal. By the way, you have a kick a$$ site.

Alk3

I'm going to have to throw in my two cents...

The best deal I have found is from 1and1.com. Currently they are having a '25% off sale' for the next 3 days and the best deal I see, personally, is:

* 2 domain names

* 100 GB web space

* 1,000 e-mail accounts

* 1,000 GB traffic

For only 3.74 a month!

I currently have a plan for 6 months (azwethinkweiz.org/.net) and am thinking about buying another 6 before the sale runs out.

I might also worry about security on such a plan. Shared hosts are not known for security and if their objective is to get as many people on the server for as little as possible money, it's a concern. Pay the extra money for a virtual server. It might be expensive, but not only are you your own admin and can run whatever software you want, but there's no risk of other users on the system snooping around.

Don't forget that while you control your VPS, it is only virtual and is running on top of an OS that may be insecure, thus I don't think that you can say that a VPS is more secure than shared hosting.

Both solutions are just software running on top of an OS you have no control over.

Edited by Mr. White

While you guys bring up some good points, I think it is all moot when you are discussing shared hosting. The customer will likely never have to deal with the security of the boxes and any reputable host will at least try and keep their boxes secure.

The best deal I have found is from 1and1.com. Currently they are having a '25% off sale' for the next 3 days and the best deal I see, personally, is:

* 2 domain names

* 100 GB web space

* 1,000 e-mail accounts

* 1,000 GB traffic

For only 3.74 a month!

I currently have a plan for 6 months (azwethinkweiz.org/.net) and am thinking about buying another 6 before the sale runs out.

Hey! I'm paying $2.24 a month!

* 2 domain names

* 100 GB web space

* 1,000 e-mail accounts

* 1,000 GB traffic

For only 3.74 a month!

:P I believe thats for the less sweet plan with only 1 domain, less space and less transfer ;)

i'll have to agree with risc on this one, i recently just signed up with dreamhost so i could have some off-site file storage, I get 400 gigs of storage and 4 TB of bandwidth to start out with, speed is great and they increase my storage by 2 gb/week.......i only pay 20 bux a month.....includes 1000 email addys and 375 shell/ftp accounts, that's a deal, plus i got the domain ...

I got my DreamHost account with a promotion code that ended up giving me a whole year for $25.

Really happy with it so far, the price even included registration of my domain name...

* 2 domain names

* 100 GB web space

* 1,000 e-mail accounts

* 1,000 GB traffic

For only 3.74 a month!

:P I believe thats for the less sweet plan with only 1 domain, less space and less transfer ;)

You got it! :voteyes:

this is nuts!

55GB storage and 5TB transfer for only $5 a month!

http://www.site5.com/hosting/

If anyone knows of a better deal let me know.

looks like a typo to me... the other "more expensive plans" have less transfer...(like 200GB, instead of 5TB)

Perhaps this is supposed to be 5GB, not 5TB

Basic Plan Info $5 Deal Silver Gold Diamond

Disk Space 55 GB 10 GB 15 GB 27 GB

Bandwidth 5 TB 200 GB 500 GB 750 GB

Domain Pointers 55 None Unlimited Unlimited

ok, first, this sounds like a load of crap to me, typo, or something. i dont trust those kinds of numbers.

as far as 1and1 avoid them. we had a account with them, and they tend to like to double charge your card, then when you want to move to another host, they refuse to give up the domain that the TOS says belongs to you.

i have a account with dreamhost and one with emax, really, both of them are kick ass. because dreamhost has been pimped out already on this thread, im gonna pimp emax

http://www.emaxhosting.com

3.95 month

1gb disk space

50gb transfer

add on domains, sub domains, mysql, email blah blah blah, everything else is unlimited.

they have uptime thats some of the best ive seen. better then the site i have with dreamhost, but thats because of the brownout problems over there, so i understand.

Yep!

That's kinda crazy offer ^^.

If everything is clear with this site, tell!

HaNoCr

:P

Im using dreamost and pay like $25/yr. at first I thought it was a screwed up deal, but they really do giv 200GB of space and 2tb of diskspace. I gotta say, its pretty sweet.

Site5's offer isn't crap, they _know_ people will sign up for it and never hit their limits. I work with two guys who used to work there and they only talk about how detestable the place is. The support sucks, the servers are horrid, and let's not talk about uptime. Then again, this is all from ex-employees (I know one guy that worked there was fired for "reasons" who we just fired from our web hosting company for "reasons") who were there when the place started up and went through their boom.