Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrisbeeFreestyle

Linux-based chkdsk alternative?

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to run "chkdsk /r" on a drive with XP installed - booting from the XP install CD and getting to a command line. I'm afraid the drive is in pretty bad shape - it hasn't passed 29% completion before crapping out. I was wondering if there was a Linux-based alternative to that - a bootable Linux CD with a "chkdsk" or "scandisk" equivalent. Does Backtrack have that built in somewhere? I'm essentially a Linux idiot - I have downloaded Backtrack and burned the ISO, and have even booted from it. I'm guessing that I can find the functionality if someone can point me in the right direction.....

FSCK would be the way to go. However, if you want more information about your drive or to conduct other tests look at the man pages for the "smartctl" command.

You guys rock - thanks. Are there different versions of the Backtrack CD? The one I have is labeled as "Network Security" or something like that.

I was able to boot from the Backtrack CD, access the file system of the drive in question, and copy files from it to a freakin USB thumb/jump drive. Had no idea that Backtrack would recognize the usb drive, load drivers for it, and make it accessible. When slaving this drive to a functioning XP system, though, all I got was a graphical "chkdsk" that ran for hours and listed everything as unreadable. Have I pissed away 19 years of my life being devoted to Microsoft, and not learning Linux?

Have I pissed away 19 years of my life being devoted to Microsoft, and not learning Linux?

Eh, that is more time than my age and I figured that out long ago. lol. Linux is the way to go...

No, time spent learning the most common OS in the business world can never be considered "pissed away". No worries there. Even the worlds biggest Unix admin guru had better know how to migrate and integrate to and with mulitple OS's.

Kind words of encouragement. Thanks.

I manage a network at a doctor's office, and the medical records package requires Windows Server and Windows clients; therefore, migrating fully to Linux is not an option. BUT - knowing a few tricks - such as cloning drives or retrieving seemingly irretrievable data from a corrupt XP drive via a Linux utility - is a good thing. Makes me a better, more well-rounded person.