cyberax

Defcon in Ireland

10 posts in this topic

Hi, Im POC for DC-35304, the only Defcon group in Ireland. I don't want this to seem like a rant but OMG what the hell is wrong with the Irish! After two weeks of trying to set it up I get a ton of email telling me not to bother, and two people show up to the first meeting and basically laugh and leave. BTW. Heres a nice quote I found in among the spam of hate mail:

"If I were to guess, Id say that you are 17 and have 1980s delusions of knowing more about computing than others, which I can assure you you don't."

WTF? :blowfuse: Im 18, in college and have an interest in computers and technology. All I wanted to do was get together with like minds and have fun. Of course I don't know everything! If I did I wouldn't be in college!

Is it just this rock of a country that has a problem or does this stuff go on in other groups?

Anyway... Thanks for reading this.

Cyberax

"look for your local 2600 group", says the guy wearing a 2600 sweatshirt with a copy of 2600 beside, drinking coffee.

Ah, I almost forgot, "dia dhuit".

Edited by Aghaster

There's actually another Irish member here, goes by the name Divo. You might want to send him a PM and see if he lives nearby or knows any other Irish hackers.

good luck though

Just who did you try to mail for you to receive such reactions? :blink:

Didn't know there was such a thing as a binrev meeting. Sounds cool. I know theres a 2600 in ireland.... maybe I should cut my losses and join them. :)

Sorry about this. Probably didn't make this clear. Im not actually trying to hold a con. After all, there is only one Defcon. Im trying to organise a Defcon Group here in Ireland (DC-35305). I checked out the binrevmeeting site. It's a pretty cool idea and Im definitly thinking about it. Like I said above, I've had some set backs but its starting to come together now.

Anyone in Ireland thats interested or would like to give me a hand, drop me a gmail at: cyberax262@gmail.com

BTW Love binrev radio! Keep up the good work :) .

Hi, Im POC for DC-35304, the only Defcon group in Ireland. I don't want this to seem like a rant but OMG what the hell is wrong with the Irish! After two weeks of trying to set it up I get a ton of email telling me not to bother, and two people show up to the first meeting and basically laugh and leave. BTW. Heres a nice quote I found in among the spam of hate mail:

"If I were to guess, Id say that you are 17 and have 1980s delusions of knowing more about computing than others, which I can assure you you don't."

WTF? :blowfuse: Im 18, in college and have an interest in computers and technology. All I wanted to do was get together with like minds and have fun. Of course I don't know everything! If I did I wouldn't be in college!

Is it just this rock of a country that has a problem or does this stuff go on in other groups?

Anyway... Thanks for reading this.

Cyberax

I'm curious how you promoted your Defcon group. Can you post up what you wrote about it?

Here's a copy of the old flyer I used. It's in Micro$oft Word Format :( , as Im between Linux distros at the moment. Since posting here, some things have changed. I've met a good few like minds and my friends and I are back on track. We are working on setting up a website at the moment and have done some more advertising with positive results. Should have our another meeting soon.

Anyway, I would like to give a big thanks to everyone here on the forums for the support.

Join_DC.doc