Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFI

damned mac....

7 posts in this topic

alright my little old g3 lappy, that has ubuntu on it, won't reformat! im trying to put mac os x back on it because i've learned my lesson about ppc architecture and linux. i put in the mac os x cd and the installation starts up fine. the only problem is when it asks which volume i would like to install it on. there are no choices! the field is blank and i can't choose anything! i know the hd responds because ubuntu runs fine. is there a manual way i can wipe the hd without logging in? because i don't remember my user name or password. heh.

alright my little old g3 lappy, that has ubuntu on it, won't reformat! im trying to put mac os x back on it because i've learned my lesson about ppc architecture and linux. i put in the mac os x cd and the installation starts up fine. the only problem is when it asks which volume i would like to install it on. there are no choices! the field is blank and i can't choose anything! i know the hd responds because ubuntu runs fine. is there a manual way i can wipe the hd without logging in? because i don't remember my user name or password. heh.

Try booting from the ubuntu boot disk and fdisk-ing the target volume. Then retry with OSX.

Hate to ask the obvious, but did you by chance forget to run Disk Utility after booting from the OS X CD and partition the drive?

EDIT: here, have a link... http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.a...qNum=3&rl=1

yeah, I think you need to run the disk util... I had to do that once when installing OSX through pearpc. If the disk has no partition, you won't have any drives to install OSX to.

thanks for the input that sounds like it'll work, i didn't touch the partition thats probably it, no clear partition. alright ill try that stuff next chance i get :D

No OS-X readable/installable function. Use the disk utility function to wipe the drive and format it to macos/hfs/+ then you can install.