Alk3

Your First Distro?

70 posts in this topic

Red Hat 7.3 then 8.0

After seeing how bad 8.0 was, I saw the light and went Slackware. Stayed with Slackware ever since :heart:

first distro i used was redhat 5.2. i still remember thinking how ugly the x window system was. shortly after fiddling with redhat i tried out slackware and couldnt hang. since then i have tried a slew of distros and finally settled on debian. currently i use ubuntu and am getting ready to put the new slackware on my laptop.

Slackware 1999 nigger! I was in middle school.

Edited by j4mes

My first distro was some version of Mandrake. About a week later, I go annoyed with it, so I switched to Red Hat 6.0. This was on a Packard Bell computer with 32 Megs of RAM and a 75 KHz processor, and a CD drive with a read speed measured in bits per second. The Mandrake install used KDE by default, which was so incredibly painful.

lol, a 75 KHZ processor? ;-)

Ubuntu and I still use it.

Because my dad had a disk already and Id read about it being new and good and friendly.

Im now stuck on Xubuntu. It is teh best. Such good hardware detection and still slim.

First distros:

Knoppix. (LiveCD)

Gentoo 2004 (broken a tad, but learned ALOT.)

I like CentOS and it works perfectly!

CentOS is pretty awesome, though it gets overlooked a lot because it's not flashy enough for most people's desktops, out of the box that is. It is pretty stable and rock solid, and at work where we can't afford RHEL I'm migrating a few FC servers we have over to it.

Not the first distro I used, I already answered that. I just wanted to hype CentOS real quick ;P

Im now stuck on Xubuntu. It is teh best. Such good hardware detection and still slim.

I've been using xubuntu on my laptop. I must say it is pretty fantastic about being super easy to use.

Man.... OBSD back in 2000....

Some dude haxed the console so i had twelve terms... one on each of the f's.

Redhat 5.2, from an official media set borrowed from a friend, on a 166MHz IBM PC 350 which I found laying behind a gov office one evening. It took me a few installs to understand what was going on and how things worked, but eventually I got a (slight) grip on it. Enlightenment came when I had to build a webserver a while later using nothing but an old junk PII box and a set of burned Redhat 8 discs from another guy I know.

I've tried various BSDs and Debian-derived distros, but keep going back to RH. I kinda wish I'd started on something else, since I got comfortable with it and thus keep installing it :)

Nowadays I use CentOS mostly, with one box of mine running Fedora 3, a few oldies running RH 7.3, and a terminal server with Xubuntu (seems kinda nice, but ever so slightly foreign - hence why I never stuck with Debian either).

I've tried everything... Slackware was my first. I don't like slackware (that's all I'll say about that)

Since then, I've tried Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Red Hat, SuSe, Gentoo, FreeBSD, Solaris (holy that was over my head at the time)

Personally, my fav is Gentoo, however, when I don't have time to setup a properly working gentoo environment, I use Ubuntu. It's quick, easy and it works.

But now, I'm moving on to OpenBSD. It is just so appealing, stability AND security! What else could you want?

(and it will make me feel that extra bit more leet than my friends ;) )

Hmm, Red Hat 5.0 was my first....then Slackware all the way.

Red Hat 6 or something like this.

It came in a book about linux I bought. :)

Ubuntu, although I tried FreeBSD first -- except, the CD was defective/dudd/something-basically-just-scratched, so instead of downloading it down myself, I used an Ubuntu CD I already head. So my first working distro was Ubuntu.

Gentoo was my first.....and I am still using it...I think you need at least a little persistence if you are gonna go for gentoo on your first distro (thats what 'they' told me), it took me like 2 weeks to setup a good stable working gentoo environment my first time ..going through the pages on that handbook....but its a great distro...easily customizable and you cant beat portage :D

Red Hat 6 or something like this.

It came in a book about linux I bought. :)

Was it this book? (I buy way too many books)

post-3403-1164225539_thumb.jpg

I need to buy a linux book with fedora in it since it seems I have a bad burn or somethin is up , but slackware was my first linux distro I installed from source coded on so Ill count it as my first =]

I've been using xubuntu on my laptop. I must say it is pretty fantastic about being super easy to use.

I'm using sourcemage on my iBook. Sourcemage owns you all ;)

Fitting my first post is about my first linux distro. I started with Red Hat 7, but I believe the distro that got me addicted to *NIX was Gentoo.