Alk3

Your First Distro?

70 posts in this topic

Started out w/ slackware '97. Then switched between mandrake and redhat distros. Currently running Fedora.

Slackware 1.2

Edited by m3747r0n

slackware 7.something

then some redhat, then alot of debian and debian based, now im running fedora, centos, slackware, desktopbsd on my desk with centos and debian servers in the office.

I think Redhat 6 was the first one I got fully functional except for a modem. As far as what I used full out and really learned on it was debian.

736139480llj7.th.jpg

Edited by Bizurke

Mandrake 7. I think it was around 2000 when I first started checking out Linux. After that I moved on to Red Hat. Played around with SuSE, Slackware, and Debian a little bit then moved on to Ubuntu, which is my distro of choice. I have an extra machine now so I'm going to try out Frugalware on it.

the first distro i actually used was Slackware 7

but I did play with RedHat 5.2 but never really used it much.

DSL live disk lol and i'm still using it when ever i need a linux moment boot up VMplayer or bang in the CD n hit restart...gotta love it

My first distro was slackware 10.2 I think, now I use BackTrack. I'm on Windows XP at the minute, though.

A lot of non-Fedora replies, which kind of surprises me. Redhat <9.0 doesn't suprise me so much but most the folks I know locally who ever did anything Linux related started on (or now use primarily) some form of Fedora. It's refreshing to see a community of people behind distros that might be a bit harder to use (eg- Slack, Gentoo, Debian). Makes me want to switch from Ubuntu. :P

Not that I think Fedora is bad, truthfully I have a love/hate relationship with it, I'm just surprised a lot of people here started on things like Slackware. Then again, most people I know who take the time to install Linux have no care about figuring out what's going on under the hood, and just wanted to "compare desktops" basically. Hence the FC bandwagoning. *shrugs*

A lot of non-Fedora replies, which kind of surprises me. Redhat <9.0 doesn't suprise me so much but most the folks I know locally who ever did anything Linux related started on (or now use primarily) some form of Fedora. It's refreshing to see a community of people behind distros that might be a bit harder to use (eg- Slack, Gentoo, Debian). Makes me want to switch from Ubuntu. :P

Not that I think Fedora is bad, truthfully I have a love/hate relationship with it, I'm just surprised a lot of people here started on things like Slackware. Then again, most people I know who take the time to install Linux have no care about figuring out what's going on under the hood, and just wanted to "compare desktops" basically. Hence the FC bandwagoning. *shrugs*

I actually tried fedora but the install would never finish so I said forget it , and went to ubuntu and when hp sends me my new laptop(they have awesome customer service) Im gonna try to install slackware 11 and hopes it will work without specil boot perimeters on the new laptop(thats why slackware didnt load after install)

I found it that when people get into a new OS like linux they go with what they first see, I did. All I ever read about linux before I ever tried it was about redhat. I thought linux was redhat and the other way around. Then I learn a bit and found that linux is the kernel not an OS. I believe if all you use is windows as your OS then you know SHIT about computers. I knew nothing about computers before I started using linux. I still feel like I know nothing about computers, but I know alot more then before I started using linux.

This should be a poll that would be cooler

* cadera ( free from schoool )

* redhat

* freebsd

I figured if I was going to to *nix I would do it right .... I to like PCbsd.org's "VMware Image"

Ubuntu (and sometimes Fedora) is a great stepping stone to one of the "harder" distros, especially if you have a machine that Ubuntu likes (shortly after I got my laptop, Ubuntu was the only distro that got almost everything up and running immediately after install). You gain a confidence that "yes, linux really CAN work on my computer", and spend most of your time fixing the little things rather than pulling your hair out just trying to get X to work. Moving to something harder after that isn't so bad, because it becomes a learning experience rather than a "I need to get this running so I can log on to BinRev forums!!!!" type of deal. You can always fall back to an easier distro if things aren't working out, rather than falling back to Windoze.

But yes, you'll find a great number of people here that have or are using complex distros like Gentoo and whatnot, and that you can find a lot of help from the friendly folk in these forums.

redhat six point something. however the first unix i ever used was my dad's NeXT.

Red Hat, way back. I don't know which version. Then Mandrake much later, then a bunch in between and I've now settled on Fedora as my favorite.

Im curious to see what was everyone's first Linux Distribution.

What was your first distro? Why did you pick it? Do you still use it? What is your favorite Distro?

I personally started out with Damn Small Linux 2.0. I then found out that DSL is based on Debian/Knoppix and tried out Knoppix. Once I began to like the general Linux environment, I read up on Debian. My first all out Linux install was Debian Sarge from the net install disc. I am now back to using Damn Small Linux. rofl. I really like all distros in general. They all have so much to offer in different ways. I also like Slackware and gentoo. Im not a Linux n00b, but I am stuck in the middle of picking what major distro to use. What do you guys use your chosen distro for? This is a bit of a survey...

Alk3

Slackware, because I could install it with 2 floppies. Nope, I now run Debian or I compile from source for special projects. I dont have a favorite distro, in my view *nix enviroments are the same or have the potential to be the same once you hack them and hammer out your likes and dislikes.

My first Linux attempts where RedHat and SuSe. I failed getting them to work properly back then and gave up. I later gave Mandrake 9 a try when it was released and that became my first real Distro. AfterIt became Mandriva I dropped it as it dodn't work as well (for me) as the previous version. I then tried Ubuntu (which I liked) and recently dropped that for CentOS.

The last switch was because we needed an Enteprise Linux at work and we're too cheap to buy RedHat :). I like CentOS and it works perfectly! I recently did and install of Fedorace Core 5, but will wipe it soon and go back to CentOS.

Knoppix 3.4 was the first 'linux OS' I saw, after messing with it off and on for a few weeks, I installed Slackware 9, but my soundcard was unsupported at the time. I later went with Fedora Core 1 (at the time, FC2 was out, but I downloaded the wrong iso), and after a while went back to slackware, 10.1, which had support for my soundcard.

Redhat 5(.5?). Never could get my modem working, and thus, couldn't find online help. The book I bought was crap as well, so I abandoned Linux for a while...

Started using SuSE before Novell bought it, and it worked great, although no support for my wireless card at the time (ndiswrapper not available yet?), so I used wired ethernet to get on my network. Kind of annoying for a laptop. Started having to do a lot of work at home, requiring me to remove SuSE and reinstall Windows (proprietary software + small hard drive, couldn't feasibly dual boot).

Got a new laptop in 2005 and it wasn't long before I wiped my HD and installed Slackware 10.1. Had some problems with my newer hardware and tried Ubuntu. Worked like a charm. A friend convinced me to try Gentoo, and I was on a Gentoo kick for several months (2005.1 release). Gave SuSE 10.1 a try, to see what this Compiz buzz was all about. After using apt and portage for a while, I couldn't stand RPMs and yum, and SuSE was more of a resource hog than Ubuntu was. Went back to Gentoo (2006.0 release), and hated the new installer and its numerous problems. Gave Ubuntu 6.06 a try, and that's where I've been since mid-June.

Thinking about giving Gentoo another go to see if the 2006.1 installer works a little better, or perhaps waiting for Ubuntu 6.10.

thats almost exactly how i started.. perhaps we're the same person!?

My first distro was some version of Mandrake. About a week later, I go annoyed with it, so I switched to Red Hat 6.0. This was on a Packard Bell computer with 32 Megs of RAM and a 75 KHz processor, and a CD drive with a read speed measured in bits per second. The Mandrake install used KDE by default, which was so incredibly painful.

I see alot of people are slackers, but I don't blame them I spent all yesterday installing slack in virtual pc 2004 (it was worth it though), and now Im a slacker B)