Alk3

Your First Distro?

70 posts in this topic

Im curious to see what was everyone's first Linux Distribution.

What was your first distro? Why did you pick it? Do you still use it? What is your favorite Distro?

I personally started out with Damn Small Linux 2.0. I then found out that DSL is based on Debian/Knoppix and tried out Knoppix. Once I began to like the general Linux environment, I read up on Debian. My first all out Linux install was Debian Sarge from the net install disc. I am now back to using Damn Small Linux. rofl. I really like all distros in general. They all have so much to offer in different ways. I also like Slackware and gentoo. Im not a Linux n00b, but I am stuck in the middle of picking what major distro to use. What do you guys use your chosen distro for? This is a bit of a survey...

Alk3

my first install was knoppix. I liked it because it found all my hardware with little work from me. It made things simple.

My first Distro was Mandrake Linux...i forget why i picked it, i think someone recommended it to me. I liked it. from there i tried a lot of different ones and im kinda stuck on ubuntu now, though im thinking of switching to Debian soon...idk tho...

My first install was Fedora, ut i delidet the day after and installet Slackware and it was a dream come true :P

My first distro was Redhat 8.0 around summer 2003, I didn't know anything about the GPL and that i could download it. I bought my first distro of linux for 40 bucks at fry's. I found out about live distros, by downloading mandrake move a year later or so, then downloaded knoppix. I love to say that I've completely moved to linux this year. Now I carry 5+ distros with me at all times. I have 3 installed on my box. And I'm soon to buy a laptop and the first thing I'm going to do it is format the crappy windows and in linux.

i forget when i bought linux, it was quite a long time ago perhaps when i was in 9th grade. i bought a linux for dummies book(i don't have it anymore) and i think it had red hat something or rather on it. then i was immediatly in love with the idea of something different for a change. i then went out and bought red hat 5 something or 6 something at best buy. which of course best buy doesn't sell red hat anymore, anyway i used it for a bit, didn't learn anything really, and then reverted back to windows.

My first distro was Redhat Fedora Core 1. Now I use Zenwalk.

i forget when i bought linux, it was quite a long time ago perhaps when i was in 9th grade. i bought a linux for dummies book(i don't have it anymore) and i think it had red hat something or rather on it. then i was immediatly in love with the idea of something different for a change. i then went out and bought red hat 5 something or 6 something at best buy. which of course best buy doesn't sell red hat anymore, anyway i used it for a bit, didn't learn anything really, and then reverted back to windows.

They sell SuSE though( I saw it).

Well anywayz I started with knoppix as a live cd and instantly loved the feel of it, then I found ubuntu and installed it and been great since then.

Mandrake... (shame)

Then I used Fedora Core 3

Then Ubuntu

Then Debian

And finally, Gentoo. And I'm still using it.

They sell SuSE though( I saw it).

this is true, i think staples and officemax sells suse as well.

Edited by isolationX

I am a fan of the Fedora series (though FC4 & FC5 were the only usable ones)....trying Slackware again very soon...

I started out with Slackware

Arch Linux

Gentoo(very broken)

back to Slackware

then went to Source Mage which I am to this day due to being a guru(bug fixer) for it

Slackware....7? I don't know the exact version number, it wasn't just yesterday that I started.

Red Hat 5.2- Still have the CD in with my Retro software.

Let's see if I can remember properly...

Started with Red Hat 6.0, 6.1, 7.1, 7.2

moved on to Slackware: 8.1, 9

then on to Gentoo.. forget the version, but before they used dates

back to Slackware 10, 10.1, battled between that and Gentoo for a bit

went on to Arch 6

found and used h3knix 1.7.8 - 2.2

back to Arch, and am still using today, though waiting for an Arcane release (new h3knix name)

I've tried many others as well, but only listed the ones I've used for an extended period of time.

My frist distro was Red Hat 4, or maybe 6? I only got it becuase I was on dial-up and my Dad's friend had a box set and let me borrow it to install. I had to recompile my kernel before I could get X to work, it took me a few tries before I thought to add in ATAPI, but it was a good learning experience. I ended up going back to windows for some reason, then I went to debian when I found another computer dumpster diving. I put debian on my first laptop too, so I just stuck with that.

Edited by lmnk

Auditor (live) > Backtrack (live) (still use both and PHLAK) > SuSE > Hard Drive on the machine crapped out :blowfuse:

RedHat 7.0 from our VoTech teacher. I managed to lose my root password and completely lock myself out within a few days. I had it installed on a Packard Bell 133 MHz system.

Got a copy of Mandrake 9.0 from someone else in the VoTech CCNA class, and installed it on a PII-300 MHz machine I traded for -- I think I traded an 8x CD burner for it. From there, RedHat 9, then Vector Linux, then Slackware. I've tried out quite a few other distros, only really bothered with Debian, Gentoo and Arch tho.

Edited by systems_glitch

RedHat 5.2 was my first as I recall.

Im thinking of trying out Source Mage and/or Zenwalk Linux. Not quite sure which- at least right now. I mainly started this thread to see what most people use and see what else there is that is good. I have the ISO for both Source Mage and Zenwalk. Im just reading up on them more before I decide. I am a Debian guy currently, but shying away.

Alk3

My very first distro was Slax, and I loved it. Later on, about a few months, I tried Slackware 10.2, I couldn't install it, I didn't know about the sata.i at boot up. I couldn't get it to work, so I got Ubuntu 6.06. I installed many themes, Kde, Xfce, Fluxbox. Now I am going to Slackware 10.2 again, then probaly Gentoo, then maybe I should try Linux From Scratch. Or maybe I would just stick with Slackware.

Redhat 5(.5?). Never could get my modem working, and thus, couldn't find online help. The book I bought was crap as well, so I abandoned Linux for a while...

Started using SuSE before Novell bought it, and it worked great, although no support for my wireless card at the time (ndiswrapper not available yet?), so I used wired ethernet to get on my network. Kind of annoying for a laptop. Started having to do a lot of work at home, requiring me to remove SuSE and reinstall Windows (proprietary software + small hard drive, couldn't feasibly dual boot).

Got a new laptop in 2005 and it wasn't long before I wiped my HD and installed Slackware 10.1. Had some problems with my newer hardware and tried Ubuntu. Worked like a charm. A friend convinced me to try Gentoo, and I was on a Gentoo kick for several months (2005.1 release). Gave SuSE 10.1 a try, to see what this Compiz buzz was all about. After using apt and portage for a while, I couldn't stand RPMs and yum, and SuSE was more of a resource hog than Ubuntu was. Went back to Gentoo (2006.0 release), and hated the new installer and its numerous problems. Gave Ubuntu 6.06 a try, and that's where I've been since mid-June.

Thinking about giving Gentoo another go to see if the 2006.1 installer works a little better, or perhaps waiting for Ubuntu 6.10.

I actually started on FreeBSD, because Linux had some issues with the spare box I had that I couldn't figure out being so green. FreeBSD ran on it like a charm though, for some unknown reason. I never really used it as a desktop though, just got used to CLI stuff over SSH.

When I learned how to do VM'ing on Windows for free, I started messing around with Ubuntu, and I had used Debian a few times, so when I got more accustomed to it I decided to install it on my main workstation. I've been running it since.

I'm now thinking about switching to Slack or Gentoo. Ubuntu is a great starting distro, and probably one of the best all-around desktop distros for people who don't care to get too indepth into Linux, which isn't me. I horribly lack knowledge of manually configuring hardware and a GUI interface, so I'm looking at either one to sort of "force" me to pick up those sorts of skills.