VanRude

Grub Error 21

8 posts in this topic

On my laptop, I have the internal harddrive, and a usb external harddrive. I made an attempt to install Ubuntu on the external harddrive, which forced me to use GRUB as a boot manager. After installing Ubuntu, I used GRUB to boot into Ubuntu, Ubuntu began to conifgure then froze. Did the same thing the second time. Third time I said, "Screw this, I'm just gonna use windows, and throw FC5 on here this weekend when I get home." So I left my computer on for a few days, then turned it off so I could bring it home. At the airport tonight, I think to myself "I wonder if there's free wireless in here." So I started it up and got GRUB error 21. I thought it might've been a fluke so I tried it again, same result. I'm assuming this is because the harddrive with Ubuntu on it is not connected.

If so, I'm either going to just go back to windows for a while, or repartition and use FC5 and windows on the same harddrive. Any suggestions?

i was just trying out ubuntu on a desktop of mine, and i got the same error even though i had 2 internal IDE hard drives, GRUB is a pain in the ass. i recommend if you are going to have ubuntu on a USB hard drive you should just change the boot order in BIOS if you can. so when it's plugged in it boots to ubuntu, if it's not it will just use windows default boot loader.

I have Ubuntu booting from a USB stick without ANY issues. Grub is loaded to my stick and contains my kernel to load, GRUB itself is not a pain in the ass. It's in many ways much easier to work with than LILO is.

So, how should I go about restoring windows boot manager? I don't have much critical data, and I'm just going to use knoppix to transfer those files to my thumbstick. But I have a bunch of media that I would like to keep, that I'm not so sutre I would be able to find again.

So, how should I go about restoring windows boot manager? I don't have much critical data, and I'm just going to use knoppix to transfer those files to my thumbstick. But I have a bunch of media that I would like to keep, that I'm not so sutre I would be able to find again.

Boot from a Windows install cd, then go to a repair prompt and type in FIXMBR, the windows boot loader will be right back there.

Thank you, fixmbr worked. Just out of curiosity, would any XP disk work or would I have to use the same version(home, pro, media) that I'm running?

Edited by VanRude

It's any XP disk if you're JUST dropping to a repair console.