Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PanicByte

Longest Practical Real World WiFi Link you've seen?

8 posts in this topic

I've seen alot of articles about people in the desert setting distance records for 802.11, but I want to know, what is the furthest practical stable wifi link you've ever seen in a real-world environment (AKA not in the desert) and what equipment was being used?

I read a article a while back about this guy who lived in the mountains (trees) who was using a variety of parabolic objects from pans to light post skirts and was able to get a 3 mile link that was around a protruding section of the mountain using a passive repeater made of pringels cans and a parabolic dish.

It was an interesting site, I'll try to dig it up for you later tonight.

Edited by Canti

I built a pair of bi-quad antenna's stapled to old Dish Network satellite dishes to network my dad's friends house ( out in the desert ) to his house ( in town with dsl connection ). It was about 2 miles out, but there was line of sight and nothing but sand and scrub brush between. I followed this guys guide, but I had to switch up some of the supplies he calls for, in particular I used copper roof flashing instead of an unetched circuit board for my backing, because good luck finding an unetched circuit board in the middle of mexico on a sunday afternoon. It took a long ass time to get the dishes lined up because I didn't realize at the time that the focal point is offset so the dish has to be tipped quite low before you get a really strong signal.

--ed

There was/is a WISP in my area that had access to the tops of the watertowers in every town in a 50 mile radius (but that's another story). They like to use big amps and high-gain antennas in not-quite-legal combinations, and routinely make links from the towers to their customers' houses/shops that range from a few blocks to five or so miles. They also link all their watertower POPs together via Wi-Fi, which means links that are 10+ miles.

A year or two ago they claimed to have made a 22-mile link between two watertower POPs. Apparantly they either got yelled at or it wasn't reliable enough, since it quietly disappeared a few months back and was replaced with some telco circuits.

Considering that they were getting into kahoots with many city/town governments and then promptly rooking them as much as they could, I suspect I know which of the above it was... :pirate:

5 blocks normal linksys wifi card and linksys router nothing added.

I've managed 3/4 mile mildly obstructed line-of-sight, from halfway up a mountain to a house down in the valley. I was getting full signal with use of a simple tin can waveguide antenna.

I'm hoping to do some tests over Fall Break, as I had a set of very long 3 1/2 inch waveguides welded up from muffler tube, so I'll post those results if/when that happens!