natas

GrandCentral

13 posts in this topic

Just ran across this. It's called GrandCentral. They give you a phone number and I guess you can tie it to your cell phone, home phone, work phone, whatever and it'll ring all those lines. Something like a FollowMe service. They give you 100 free minutes and a DID to test it out though so I guess its worth mentioning and checking out. Especially to test if they trap CPN....

http://www.grandcentral.com/

Cool,

I am checking the site out now..

THanks for the link..........

peace

Walcy

Nice! Now I have my number bounced (*cough* er, fowarded) four times! Hah.

Thanks for the link :).

Just ran across this. It's called GrandCentral. They give you a phone number and I guess you can tie it to your cell phone, home phone, work phone, whatever and it'll ring all those lines. Something like a FollowMe service. They give you 100 free minutes and a DID to test it out though so I guess its worth mentioning and checking out. Especially to test if they trap CPN....

According to their support page, its 100 free minutes per month.

With GrandCentral Free, you get unlimited voicemail and 100 GrandCentral minutes (the minutes you're actually talking to someone who's called you through GrandCentral) per month.

Good find.

EDIT:

However, it looks as though we are getting signed up for the "unlimited" account.

The email they send mentions that since they are still in beta they are giving us all of these things free of charge:

* Unlimited inbound minutes

* Unlimited voicemail

* $3 credit for outbound calls

* All premium features, including call record

Edited by upsidedown

Got this in the inbox this morning:

We're now part of Google!

We wanted to let you know that GrandCentral has been acquired by Google! We're particularly excited about this because it ensures that not only will we have the resources to continue to bring you even more innovative communications features down the road, but that we will be able to continue to offer you the service, with many features for free, for a long time to come.

We started GrandCentral because we wanted to create a service that puts users in control of their voice communications and not the other way around. As you have discovered, with GrandCentral you get all of your phone calls through just one number that never changes and you can link and ring up to six phones when somebody calls you. But that's just the start. You can set different rules for each caller (some ring all your phones, others can go straight to voicemail), create personal voicemail greetings for each of your callers, and even check your voicemail on the web with all of your messages in just one inbox. We'll even save your messages for as long as you want.

Have you ever tried to save a message on your cell phone but it gets deleted after a few weeks? Or have you wished you could hear your voicemail messages while they are being left like you used to be able to do on your old home answering machine? Have you ever been on a call on your cell but wished you could switch it to your desk or home phone? How about having a filter to weed out unwanted telemarketer calls automatically? With GrandCentral you are in control and can do all of this, and this is just the beginning. As part of Google we'll be able to create even more unique features to let you control your calls the way you want.

Many of you probably have questions about what happens to the service now that we're a part of Google. We've created an FAQ--which will answer most of your questions, but a couple of highlights:

Our priority now is to ensure that you, our current beta users, continue to have a great user experience. While we scale the service, we are moving to an invitation-only model for new users. If you're a registered user today, you can invite five of your friends to join. In addition, GrandCentral will continue to remain entirely free as we work with Google to add capacity, work out any kinks, fix bugs, and add a ton more great features. We hope you continue using the service and send us feedback about anything we can do to improve it.

Thanks for your support so far. We'll always work to earn it.

Craig Walker and Vincent Paquet, GrandCentral Founders

Got this in the inbox this morning:

We're now part of Google!

Great Google bought something else.

Whats next? ....sorry, a little off topic.

Anyway a Grand Central number

also could be used as an ANI trap.

No because they don't send show you the CPN if the CID is blocked.

Grandcentrals buyout has been all over the blogosphere for the past week or so. They just made it official yesterday or on Monday. I forget which one.

I've been using it for quite a while now to obfuscate my cell number with great success. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. One interesting feature is that it allows you to set that anyone calling the Grand Central number using a caller ID like unlisted, restricted, etc must record their name so that when Grand Central calls you, it will play their name, and you can transfer calls between lines during the call. One thing that is neat is they give you the option of having your ringing tone be one of many world ringing tones. Overall, a very good service.

-Light

anyone tried to spoof your CID to yourself ?

Did you really just find out about this Natas? A lot of us knew about it for a few months prior to Google buying then out. I'm surprised no one passed the info your way.

Anyway yeah, the Caller-ID information is all that's available to the customers. Unless you're able to find an exchange by a carrier that actually traps the CPN and sends it as Caller-ID...

Uh..

QUOTE(natas @ Sep 27 2006, 03:52 PM)

Did you really just find out about this Natas? A lot of us knew about it for a few months prior to Google buying then out. I'm surprised no one passed the info your way.

Anyway yeah, the Caller-ID information is all that's available to the customers. Unless you're able to find an exchange by a carrier that actually traps the CPN and sends it as Caller-ID...

No, the post was originally from September 2006.

heh... yeah I guess I missed that post date there that time didn't I?