ThoughtPhreaker

New Hope pictures

5 posts in this topic

Recently, I took a trip down to New Hope, Virginia, or as it's probably better known as, 540-363land. Aside from a few scattered houses, the only things in the "town" were the central office itself, a community center, and a convenience store, all of which were also separated between a few houses. It was kind of eye opening in a way, to be able to see what a place with such an ancient intercept system would be like up close. The solitude of the place is amazing. While I was standing out by the community center, I could actually hear the wind rustling through the nearby corn stalks and a rooster crowing. The town being served by a Stromberg Carlson DCO, I thought it'd be interesting to find one and get some recordings of various things from it, including what the CBCAD and other various intercept messages would sound like. In other places, I've seen the intercept system do similar functions, such as 'All Circuits Busy' messages, etc. Unfortunately, there were no payphones there whatsoever. Not even a COCOT. Surprisingly, the telephone company has it's own website. If anyone would like to see it, it is available here , as well as the pictures, which are available here.

The town being served by a Stromberg Carlson DCO,

According to the website:

"Our switching facility is a Siemens DCO-SE digital switch that was installed in 1989. "

And, according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_switches

Siemens basically continued that line of switches.

Yeah,

I just checked out a couple of the pictures there at that place..

wow...........you said it right it was a real eye opener..........

"Since 1902 New Hope Telephone Cooperative has been providing telephone service to it's residents. Check the links to the left to find information about the services we provide."

What the-? :blink: 1902...?

"Since 1902 New Hope Telephone Cooperative has been providing telephone service to it's residents. Check the links to the left to find information about the services we provide."

What the-? :blink: 1902...?

Why is that surprising?