n3xg3n

ISO image of Harddrive

14 posts in this topic

Is there any way that i could make an ISO of my entire HardDrive and put it on an external harddrive, so that i could restore my HardDrive exactally as it is should something go wrong (this computer is on Windows)

Is there any particular reason for choosing an ISO image?

If you for whatever reason want to use an ISO, I would boot from a Linux Live CD, and use mkisofs to build an ISO of the entire disk. Booting from a Live CD would prevent problems that arise from trying to compress the disk that Windows is installed in from within Windows.

the only reason i chose an ISO is because it would retain everything exactally as it is, ill try that...

Just use ghost. It makes basicly an exact copy. And is compressed.

for a ghost, it is required that the image goes onto the exact same computer, or at least the same hardware, correct?

for a ghost, it is required that the image goes onto the exact same computer, or at least the same hardware, correct?

If I am correct same hardware to a certain extent. I have changed hdd or sound cards and it still work. Does not need to be exact same computer.

Whether you go partimage or ghost, those are the types of tools that would make the job easiest for the parent poster.

Making an iso with mkisofs would be great to make an iso of the filesystem, like he thought he wanted. There isn't a really good reason not to use a "ghosting" software instead though. Even if the hardware had some minor changes you could just update the drivers, like was said before. Partimage has the big bonus of being free, and making an image of specific partitions is a breeze, along with compressing the file like Ghost. Either one or even g4U or something will work.

hdClone works pretty well too and is a bootable cd or floppy

If it's an exacy copy you want, then the best way is probably to boot from a linux live CD and (as root) run

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

That will make a direct, block-for-block copy of the primary master drive to the primary slave drive.

You may well want to change the device names, for example hdc for the secondary master and hdd for the secondary slave. It may also be something like "sda" if it's a USB hard drive.

IMO, this is the best solution, because it does make a perfect copy. If you make an ISO image, then you convert the filesystem to a different type, possibly changing things like metadata and permissions.

If you don't know linux well, though, then you may want to try a system that's more packaged up with a GUI, to be sure of not screwing anything up.

i've not really used this but helix is a linux distro bsed on knopix and i think if i read corrrectly when trying it out you can basically take an image of the hard drive and send it over a network to anohter computer making a exact replica google it !!! for more info

Helix can do all kinds of good shit. The DOD version of dd works for this too. I didn't even think of it until reading the last two posts just now. It may be a little more noob friendly for you too, showing progress and all that jazz.

dcfldd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

will copy the main hda drive to the hdb drive. To restore it you reverse it up:

dcfldd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

i havent done the whole imaging thing yet, but im thinking about it cause it seems like it would be a great idea...

anyway my question is how long does it take generally? i realize that depending on the type of compression it wil take longer. but for example a 30 gb hd with ntfs formatting, would generally take what a night, an hour? dont know

make a .img file of your hard drive using dd and copy it to your hard drive.

Another option is to download the Ultimate Boot CD and use one of the tools available on it to make a _complete_ backup of the hard drive, copying everything byte by byte to your backup drive. However, this takes several hours to do. I've done that once like 2 years ago, when there was a bug in the linux kernel for my sata controller driver, the timeout wasn't long enough. To fix that I had to change the code a little bit and recompile the kernel, but of course this didn't allow me to install it because it wasn't able to detect my sata drive... So i installed it on my ATA hard drive, recompiled kernel and then copied the whole hard disk to the other one using that tool found on the UBCD.