shizzle

Wifi question

23 posts in this topic

If you wardrive around, and get into AP's with no wep or with wep, just connect period.

and the person that owns the AP finds out your mac address from the dchp clients table, can that MAC address be traced back to your laptop by the powers that be?

before you flame, I googled, didnt find the answer I was looking for.

that depends on an aweful lot. The MAC address is an unique address, it identifies the manufacturor, the model, and the specific card itself. They can trace it back to the manufacturor and ask them to look up the speccific card in their records. They will be able to find when it was produced and probably what distributor it went to. Then they can go to the distributor and see if they can track where it went. Then they may be able to track it to the computer manufacturor, who could tell them who they sold it to. If you ordered the computer form them directly, then they may beable to give up the billing information. So its 4 easy hops to find you. But anywhere along that chain may be broken. But if you then bought the computer from someone else, who knows if they can find you.

The MAC address is really useful after the fact though. Like if someone reports to the cops that you are using their wifi unauthorized and supply the MAC address you used. And the cops find you and your computer does indeed have that MAC address then you're boned.

Simply put: yes they can trace your MAC to your laptop as it's a unique identifier. However, doing so will be extremely difficult for local LEOs and would prove pretty futile for them to do.

I can do it, but it is very costly. 99.999% cannot find out "who" a MAC address belongs to. The most common way for them to find it is to search for someone who is sitting in their car and try to see if the address matches the same one they found on the network. Then your fucked.

Be safe!

Use encryption!

Spoof your MAC!

Thanks for all the info guys, and yes, I just learned how to spoof my mac Linux! :-)

so with a spoofed mac and a decent antenna, I have found a new set of balls.

Much love binrev

So... How would I spoof a Mac laptop? And is it possible to spoof a non-Mac laptop?

I don't how to do it on a Mac, but on a Windows machine, I use a little utility called 'MacMakeup.'

at some point changing your mac address on windows was as easy as loading up regedit, or running a .reg file. Basically what windows did was when it initialized the network card, it would read the MAC address from it, and store it to the registry. Then instead of querying the NIC every time it was making a packet, it would just look it up in the registry. So you could change this key and all your packets would have a new MAC. disable and re-enable the card and it goes back to normal. I believe this was stopped in one of the service packs, but that's how easy it used to be on a windows computer.

So... How would I spoof a Mac laptop? And is it possible to spoof a non-Mac laptop?

You do realize this has nothing to do with Apple laptops specifically and more about the MAC Address of a network adapter.

i have seen plaenty of mac address spoofers and or changers. just google.

realistically, if someone's going to take the time to track you down via mac address, theyre the government and you did an assload more than surf the net...

If you really wanted to be hardcore about it, then you could just use an external firewall-type setup (that old laptop you had in middle school should be fantastic and there are plenty of Linux distros and BSDs specifically designed for it) and customize it so that it searches outgoing data for your MAC address and replaces or removes it completely. And if you felt like it, you could have it search the incoming data as well and alert you if it finds it, just to let you know that your fool-proof methods weren't so fool proof. I don't know that incoming packets would ever have that, but I could be wrong or you could just be bored.

At any rate, yeah, like everybody's said here thus far, it's very easy to spoof your MAC address. Be wary of the countless programs that say that they can change it because it's very often written near the serial number on the outside of the product.

Also, you could just set up your computer to run all outgoing data (and receive all incoming traffic from) a proxy.

And finally, another solution would be to grab TorPark and head to the public library, internet cafes, etc. Just don't use your friends' computer because then, if you're actually doing something that somebody cares enough about to track down, they'll go to your friend's house and, after a five minute intermission, will be at your house.

realistically, if someone's going to take the time to track you down via mac address, theyre the government and you did an assload more than surf the net...

Or your my asshole neighbor that decided to mess with my WAP11 :devil:

Don't always assume your totally surrounded by n00bs, sometimes the bait is just that: bait.

You do realize this has nothing to do with Apple laptops specifically and more about the MAC Address of a network adapter.

/me taps avatar

That's why I'm here.

/me taps avatar

That's why I'm here.

Thank you for the laugh. I just noticed your avatar the other day and was like I wonder if he really is or just wants everyone to think that.

when i first saw that i said, "oh shit, this thread is going to get very interesting w/ the double meaning of MAC and Mac"

I just wrote a c++ program which spoofs your mac addreess with a randomly generated one and

grabs the nearest open AP. It is for Linux. Let me know if you want the source.

I have a bash script which will do the same thing and it does it randomly if you want it to

I just wrote a c++ program which spoofs your mac addreess with a randomly generated one and

grabs the nearest open AP. It is for Linux. Let me know if you want the source.

Yeh lets check it out, everybody loves new toys. :voteyes: