Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
natas

VoIP Hacker Flees

12 posts in this topic

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...n=Breaking+News

The feds issued an arrest warrant for Edwin Pena for violating his bail conditions. Investigators are searching for the man, who's been missing since last month.

Federal authorities say a Miami man facing computer and wire fraud charges for stealing VoIP services and selling them through his own company has fled, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Edwin Pena, 23, was arrested June 7 for allegedly acting as a legitimate wholesaler of Internet-based phone services while actually running a sophisticated fraud. Federal investigators say he and a conspirator secretly hacked into the computer networks of unsuspecting Voice over IP (VoIP) telephone service providers, including one Newark, NJ.-based company, to route his customers' calls.

Pena allegedly stole and then sold more than 10 million minutes of service at deeply discounted rates, netting more than $1 million from the scheme.

A little more than a month ago, Pena failed to meet his bail conditions. After his initial arrest, he had been placed under pretrial release supervision. Out on a $100,000 bond, Pena's travel had been restricted to the Southern District of Florida and the District of New Jersey.

With mad cash like that, he could have probably made a quick getaway to another country.

Yeah, but always running is a huge Pena in the ass. :ninja:

Nice post Natas. I know one of his software writers that worked for him. He is facing about 5 years in jail for it.

Nice post Natas. I know one of his software writers that worked for him. He is facing about 5 years in jail for it.

You mean Robert? :)

Pena means regret in Spanish, no point to that, sorry.

It wasn't me I swear...but if you've already had charges filed against you, it seems illogical to run and compound the problems. Well, some people I guess...

You mean Robert? :)

Yes.

Yeah, but always running is a huge Pena in the ass. :ninja:

Running probably would be hard with a pena in your ass.