Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crackedatom

Project to help me learn about *nix systems

5 posts in this topic

I'm quite new to linux, so maybe this should be put in the noob section, but I'm not too concerned about getting flamed -_- and its not really off topic either.

This is linked to another of my posts but only on the software side. I've decided on using slackware (zipslack) or the net install of debian as a starting point. Another possiblity is DSL but the only problem I had with that was having to login all the time, which wouldn't be very convenient.

Here's a brief outline of my project if you're too lazy to read the other thread. To clear things up, this is mainly a learning experience for me, so I don't care if its gonna look messy and pointless. Everyone starts somewhere right?

Hardware:

• Small powerpack
  • Small motherboard, with audio jacks
  • Wireless card
  • Speakers & amp
  • Buttons - old keyboard (?)

Software:

• OS - Linux based, compatable with the following...
  • VNC
  • Some form of music program
  • Hotkey app - I was thinking of using heavily modifyed keyboard and use hotkeys to run different playlists.

VNC and the music program are ok, most distro's come with those anyway. The problem I encountered was playing files remotely. I tried using the smbclient in the DSL dist. but that means having to always using the get command and not actually streaming the files over the network. I also tried using the open command :huh: hahaha

So, I'm going to have to come up with a better plan on how I'm going to do this efficently...I'm off to have a good think and a bit of a read.

PS. Instead of using playlists, could I run scripts opening those files at the same time and running them, a bit like making a .bat file in windows?

PPS. Also reading eno_gib's thread linux newb needs help

Edited by crackedatom

Er....from where/what are interfacing? It would be much different if you had a linux box (hell, even a mac) from which you issued commands than say windows xp or something else.

Er....from where/what are interfacing? It would be much different if you had a linux box (hell, even a mac) from which you issued commands than say windows xp or something else.

The commands will be coming from the linux box, but accessing files on other computers on the network