Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fluidicslave

my schools sysadmin sux

45 posts in this topic

i rarley use my schools computers for anything but strictly schoolwork, as i 99.99% know that they are keylogging us, or atleast watching everything we do... and yet my advisor asks us like once a week, whenever there is government spying, "How does that make you feal, is it right for them to spy on you for national security" :P

When your government spys on you the Terrorists win.

i rarley use my schools computers for anything but strictly schoolwork, as i 99.99% know that they are keylogging us, or atleast watching everything we do... and yet my advisor asks us like once a week, whenever there is government spying, "How does that make you feal, is it right for them to spy on you for national security" :P

When your government spys on you the Terrorists win.

<_< :voteyes:

so it happend they arn't dooing shit to fix the problem OH well fuck them thats the last time I ry and help

sort of off topic, but is there a program that will tell you your typing speed without you having to type up something specific? Like, you jsut type whatever and it will tell you how many words you typed per minute?

hrm. I actually think i'm just going to use a stopwatch and time myself typing.

I work as a tech at a local high school. I would be thrilled if a student showed me a hole in the system. Now there would be consequences but it would not be serious. I would actually have them help me fix the problem and probably have him/her write a paper on security or something. But suspended or expelled I would fight for them to get a lesser punishment.

why would you punish them at all? Listen, let me explain WHY in the past I myself have done this. MY information is there, enough information for anyone to commit identity theft, I am covering MY ass by telling someone about it. Same as anyone, while it isn't always their reasoning behind telling a sysadmin the problems with his system. People especially students are curious, students by their namesake are the most curious as the point of a school is to learn. If you so much as punish anyone for telling you any inadequacies in your security I have nothing but the HIGHEST level of disdain for you. Those kids should be given a reward, they didn't damage anything they didn't commit a crime, they did exactly what everyone should do in the face of a vulnerability.

Part of the reason there would be a punishment is because this is not their system to try and find holes. I understand curiosity and all. But they would have done something that they are not supposed to do.

As for the ones who don't tell they will be found. Maybe not right away but eventually. Trust me.

I wish punishment was not an option. But if that person does something they should not be doing ie.. using someone elses password or making. Again a short 1 to 2 page paper is hardly punishment. I would hope that you could learn something while writing the paper. It is totally different when you are an adult and you have higher ups like the Princepal and school board admins. Just my opinion. And I am proud of you for disagreeing with me. That is what makes this board so great. We can disagree and still get along.

Personally I feel you are not only incorrect, but very very very much so. Often times I've found silly exploits by simply noticing something, I wasn't looking for it, a small glitch and I realize wow, this could be broken so easy. If my information is contained in a database or some such that I realized something may be easy to brreak through the securities...I would be VERY worried about it. Punishing anyone who helps secure not only THEIR data but the data of all the other students who due to the sysadmins inadequate security auditing missed, is a hero, not to be disciplined, that is entirely TOO much.... it really disgusts me.

Ok just to clarify myself. If it was an accident that is different. But, and this is a big but here, if you are trying to find a way in you are doing something wrong. There is speed limits for a reason. Do we all follow them no but when we get caught we should not be upset to take the punishment of the ticket. I do understand everything you said and believe me when I say this, I will not only thank that person who did show me I will probably offer them to help out at another time. But if I do not ask you to test my security please do not test my security. If you lock your door and I test how strong that lock is, it is still breaking and entering. I guess what I am saying is there is times where there has to be some type of punishment. I am sure I would also get punished for not seeing the flaw before it was found. And you know what I would own up to it and take my punishment as it was given to me.

And not that I have said this yet but I don't think fluidicslave did anything wrong. He stumbled across a file that stored I'm guessing unencrypted user names and paswords. I am proud of how he handled it and wish the best for him. If this was the case I would not have punished him. Now if the passwords and all was encrypted and he unencrypted them then I might have him write a 1 to 2 page paper and why we respect other peoples property or something. Notice I said might. It all depends on how I was approched about the error. If he came to me and said I hacked your system and your all going down then yes he would be punished. But if he came to me and said hey I did something I might not should have but I want you to know about a problem that could be serious. I would have listened to him and said ok let us all learn from this. Again it is all about attitude. Again I thank you for your comments.

I disagree, wrong means malicious in my book, and people like you are why kids are so scared to learn. if my information is ANYWHERE on your system rest assure I'll audit myself. simply because I know ME auditing it leaves MY data safe...someone else may do something that could financially damage me for eternity. Do your job, if someone finds something messed up or insecure, if you can't deal with that pride hit, GTFO, quit your job, let THEM do it, cos obviously you're failing at it. and by punishing them, you reduce the likelyhood in the future they'd report it, not that they'll not find it.

I disagree, wrong means malicious in my book, and people like you are why kids are so scared to learn. if my information is ANYWHERE on your system rest assure I'll audit myself. simply because I know ME auditing it leaves MY data safe...someone else may do something that could financially damage me for eternity. Do your job, if someone finds something messed up or insecure, if you can't deal with that pride hit, GTFO, quit your job, let THEM do it, cos obviously you're failing at it. and by punishing them, you reduce the likelyhood in the future they'd report it, not that they'll not find it.

i like you ^_^ :voteyes:

if my data is on your network, and your network is vulnerable, my data is vulnerable, therefore it is my problem.

i think your going a little overboard. first of all hrdhrv's "punishments" aren't really punishments, they aper to be reactionary learning exercises. personally if any admin at one of my schools had asked (required) me to write a paper on what i know about computer security, and then maybe discused the paper afterwords, i would have been flattered. secant of all, he never really said what age group he was admining for, junior high / high school students might need to learn some lessions like, "don't touch things that aren't yours" or "if you want to run security scrimmages against my servers, ask first," if the admin turns put to be a prick, most of us would probably do it anyway, and if our personal info was at risk on a network with shit security we'd eather do what we could to get it off the system or go over Dickface-the-Admin's head.

i classify every admin I've ever had as eather a monkey, or an Administrator (<= notice the capital A). monkeys are scared of fire, and will throw you out of their office or off there machines if you show them that you can make fire. Administrators will listen to you, and if they say "no" or have a problem with what your doing they'll usually have a good reason and will tell you that reason if you ask. I've even had one who would indulge you in a clam debate on an issue, as long as you respected the fact that they are in charge (of the machines), and what they say is law (as far as the system goes).

monkeys are easy to spot, and usually prove that they're monkeys early in the first conversation you have with them. i don't think hrddrv's a monkey. i think you just have a hate-on for admins and you opened fire on him for admitting that he is one.

Edited by antihero

Thank you antihero for those statements. And yes I am at a high school. I am just curious for those of you who have a bank account do you try to hack it. Because your docs are there and I am sure there is some kind of hole somewhere. Just don't get caught.

Again if it is not your system or your network you should not be trying to break into it. Accidental findings or stumbling over something that is strange is fine. I have no problem with a student telling me there is something wrong. I would ask how they found out about it and go from there. There might be a good reason I have some port open or why a paticular machine has some setting. Unfortunately unless you are the sysadmin you have no say over the sytems anyway. I guess if it is at a collage or a bank you could go somewhere else.

Thank you antihero for those statements. And yes I am at a high school. I am just curious for those of you who have a bank account do you try to hack it. Because your docs are there and I am sure there is some kind of hole somewhere. Just don't get caught.

Again if it is not your system or your network you should not be trying to break into it. Accidental findings or stumbling over something that is strange is fine. I have no problem with a student telling me there is something wrong. I would ask how they found out about it and go from there. There might be a good reason I have some port open or why a paticular machine has some setting. Unfortunately unless you are the sysadmin you have no say over the sytems anyway. I guess if it is at a collage or a bank you could go somewhere else.

I am not affraid to mess with my bank acount and I am sure I would tell my bank if I ever got in ( well maby I woudlent tell them :) )

Sorry for the bump but i have the worst "non expulsion case" hacker story for my school...where the sys admin is like 25, with ABSOLUTLY no life.

Anyways...

Im 18 now but in my freshman year of hi school i was 14. Man we used to act up in my computer class!!!! It all started freshman year wit mstsc and shutting down my teachers computer @ the login screen. then we moved on to net send broadcasting(good times). Then in my sophomore year I was making a batch file(ultra fun). it was kool. This iz the first offence(sophomore year):I went to one of the computer labs during one of my classes(we had to) and made a super deth batch file(run notepad.exe)...about 5 of them running notepad.....100000 times....then looping....i had the starting points in the registry, in the run folder, anywhere it could run on start up.....it only took a few seconds befor system resource errors and memory errors started popping up. To my extreme suprise it actually brought on of the computers completely down. the worst part was that we(yes me and someone else) did this on like 5 computers in that lab. they said i was "hacking". I tried to tell the principle that it could easily b removed by booting in safe mode but he didnt listen and i got suspended for one day.

Heres the second offense(same year):

Somehow me, two other kids and that crappy admin got into an convo about trojans. then he said sumthin about netbus and using it at school...i wuz like iznt that a trojan on the school network? and he wuz actin stupid in a "hehehe ill never tell" attitude. so i took it upon myself to have an external port scan done to the school network. Well turns out that the schools server shutdown and the had to get the $90 an hour tech that our school hires ocassionally to come in and fix the problem. They said that it cost them serious downtime. I was sooooo close to not being able to touch another computer in that school. i just got suspended for 3 days.

NOW for the "piss me off part"

Now out of all of this my father now thinks that there is no such thing as an ethical hacker or a white hat. and that all hackers are evil and ALL their activities are illegal.

Im 18 now but in my freshman year of hi school i was 14. Man we used to act up in my computer class!!!! It all started freshman year wit mstsc and shutting down my teachers computer @ the login screen. then we moved on to net send broadcasting(good times). Then in my sophomore year I was making a batch file(ultra fun). it was kool. This iz the first offence(sophomore year):I went to one of the computer labs during one of my classes(we had to) and made a super deth batch file(run notepad.exe)...about 5 of them running notepad.....100000 times....then looping....i had the starting points in the registry, in the run folder, anywhere it could run on start up.....it only took a few seconds befor system resource errors and memory errors started popping up. To my extreme suprise it actually brought on of the computers completely down. the worst part was that we(yes me and someone else) did this on like 5 computers in that lab. they said i was "hacking". I tried to tell the principle that it could easily b removed by booting in safe mode but he didnt listen and i got suspended for one day.

Somehow me, two other kids and that crappy admin got into an convo about trojans. then he said sumthin about netbus and using it at school...i wuz like iznt that a trojan on the school network? and he wuz actin stupid in a "hehehe ill never tell" attitude. so i took it upon myself to have an external port scan done to the school network. Well turns out that the schools server shutdown and the had to get the $90 an hour tech that our school hires ocassionally to come in and fix the problem. They said that it cost them serious downtime. I was sooooo close to not being able to touch another computer in that school. i just got suspended for 3 days.

Now out of all of this my father now thinks that there is no such thing as an ethical hacker or a white hat. and that all hackers are evil and ALL their activities are illegal.

You're certainly not giving them much reason to think otherwise.

You're certainly not....after I got myself in trouble as a youth, my parents had the same attitude. I had to prove that the skillset was not evil when our car broke down in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road, but sure enough...there was a SWBell TNI can about 100meters away.

Using your computer skills to shutdown boxes and generally fuck around with private citizen's heads is just dumb....a phase more like it. Skiddie and crackers do not have any direction nor the mental capacity to come up with worthwhile projects that will not only peak your interest, but the interest of many other like-minded souls.

If you're going to do something malicious to a network/individual machine, at least expose some government scandal or memo's showing "What the corporation really thinks of customers." to balance it out....

Sorry for the bump but i have the worst "non expulsion case" hacker story for my school...where the sys admin is like 25, with ABSOLUTLY no life.

Anyways...

i did the same thing, but for the most part i ran everything on my computer as a test, usually screwing my computer up. the only thing i did in school, was use sub7 for a little while. but its pretty lame if you think about it. sitting in a computer lab and opening a pr0n site that isn't blocked by the server. and then watching the teacher close the site, and then reopening it after wards. after a few times, i decided not to do it again.

Edited by isolationX

Blaming a hacker for what comes naturally to them is just about the dumbest thing you could possibly do, next to slamming your penis in a car door. Not only is the hacker trying to help you, but they also just can't help it.

Feds and sysadmins should learn to love us.

Or else.

That said, I went to a "technical school", and I rooted around three servers a day because of default/bad passwords.

Edited by Abnerian

Hehe I have quick and dirty solution for you.

Post your server's IP address in here.

Give it a week or so

...and, Problem Solved!

Anyways...

Do you have tics or has someone stolen the "s" key from your keyboard?